Hello! My daughter is five years old. Few days ago we got a little cat. Since then my daughter started to sneeze a lot. Today her nose is running whole day. I think that maybe she is allergic to cat. Or she got a cold. Are symptoms of cold similar to the one of cat allergy?

Yes. They are usually very similar. Runny nose, sneezing etc. Maybe you should go to doctor and see does she have any infection. If not, go to allergist. One way an allergist can determine the causes of your child's allergies is by testing your child's reaction to specific allergens by blood tests.

Hello there,

It would be best to take your daughter to the pediatrician. He will probably refer her to the allergist. The allergy test is done by blood samples, and allergist will discover if she is allergic to anything else besides cats. Usually person who is allergic to cats is also allergic to dogs, rabbits and most of the other animals.

I know that your daughter is going to be really disappointed if she is allergic to cats. And you will have to get rid of your new pet, because if your daughter stays near the cat the allergy symptoms are going to be even worse.

I hope that you will manage to deal with this, and that you will find good solution for this whole situation.