I would like to know how dangerous are canker sores with oral sex? I was always told they were just a blister. And they are not an open soar. Is that true and can you tell me a little bit more about that? I am male with male sexual partner and I want to protect both of us.

Actually, it is not clear yet what causes apthous ulcers or so called canker sores. Those are small, painful, and shallow sores. Canker sores usually appear white or gray surrounded by a red halo. Also, it is usually appeared on moveable and soft tissue inside the mouth, tongue, throat and inner cheeks. At one time there could occur two to fifteen canker sores and individually last up to two weeks. Several episodes for one year are still not uncommon appearance. Canker sores can be very painful and may interfere with speaking, drinking and eating. It is not sure what causes canker sores; there could be different causes for them. It is advisable that person abstain from performing oral sex when there are canker sores in the mouth. There are some evidences to support an increased risk for HIV transmission to the person performing oral sex when there are canker sores or other oral health problems presented. I would recommend you to take care until those sores don’t disappear.

A condom helps too.

www.cdc.gov (factual information for your sexual safety needs).

Oh, and a canker sore usually is an open sore unless it is in blister form, and in that case, it's still a gamble because it can always open up for business (i.e. pop).

It's always a good idea for couples to get tested, just in case.