Okay this is so weird.
I woke up about a week ago with a sore throat. That night I had a very high (103) fever. The sore throat got progressively worse and the fever would come and go. After two days I called the doctor because I thought I had strep throat.

The doctor did a strep culture (still waiting on results) and gave me antibiotics in case. He gave me 5 day Levaquin 750.

Before I started taking the antitbiotics, I started having swelling on my gums. This is strange for me because I never have gum problems or sensitivity. Well I just ignored it and thought it would go away.

The next day I wake up with canker sores on my tongue. There are about three of them.

So now, I have swollen, red gums (they don't bleed), canker sores on my tongue, and a really bad sore throat.

Has anyone ever heard of this with strep? Can strep move to your mouth? Or is it not strep at all?

I'm very upset about this. It's so disgusting and I can't even eat.
Thanks for any info.

Though i do not have the answers to your questions, i would just like to say you're not a lot.
My throat is sore, and my gums are swollen, and i developed cold sores on my tongue!
again i have no answer, just know that you're not alone!

This sounds like strep. If you strep test came back negative ask for a blood test to test your ASO Titer levels. That will indicate a recent strep infection. If that is high they will want to make sure your HS CRP isn't high as well. This could indicate Rheumatic Fever.
They should have you on Penicillin.

my 3 year old has the same thing and his dr said it is a form of viral herpies.. will cause the gums to swell and maybe even bleed .. also high fever for like a day or 2 then goes away...

ok i went into the ER with the same systoms as u did. they told me it was strep. but i did some of my own research. it is actually oral herpes.
Many children contract the oral herpes virus without showing obvious signs of illness. With other children, however, symptoms resembling those of a strep infection or infectious mononucleosis appear from two to 20 days after being exposed to the virus. Symptoms of a first-time oral herpes infection may include the following:

* a blister or cluster of blisters on the lips, tongue, floor, or roof of the mouth
* oral pain or irritation
* sore throat
* swollen gums and lips
* headache
* chills
* mild fever
* enlarged glands

Does anyone truly know what these symptoms are from? I too started out with red, sore, swollen gums which lead to a fever of 102.6 and a sore throat. I also believe my gland on the right side is swollen and hurts to touch as if I bruised it. My fever has gone away but my gums are still red, swollen and sore and I still have a mild sore throat.

I went to the er today and they too told me its strep throat and was given penicilin. I asked him if my swollen gums were related and he told me they could be. And basically as long as its an infection the penicillin will take care of it. The think that bothers me is that my swollen and sore gums started on my bottom fronts...now it has spread to my top right inside. I've also had 3 little canker sores on the left inside of my lip! I'll keep everyone posted to see if the penicillin works. I'm crossing my fingers hoping it does because I don't have any health insurance!

my gf has the same problem right now her gums swelled up really bad last night she has 3 blisters on her tongue and a bunch in her mouth...she hasnt really had feveers any more except for like the first couple of days. She doesnt feel to tired altho for a while she really felt like vomiting and never did. We thought it was mono but she tested negative yet the doctor warned us is was to early to tell...then they tested strep that was negative as well. The problem is that shes on an antibiotic...im not sure if all antibiotics have penacilin or not...thing is you guys have said the antibiotic make it worse well when they did the blood tests they found she also had a bladder infection...what to do...? I dont know stop the antibiotics cause it makes the mono or w.e. it is worse or keep her on it because of the bladder infection? Help someone!

my gf has thr same problem blister on tongue 3 of them and numerous ones in her mouth she had a fever first couple days but not no more the blisters are recent shes had this really bad soar throat they said it wasnt strep and was to early to test for mono...but they tested anyways and came up negative. They gave her antibiotics I dont know the name off hand do all antibiotics have penicillan in them? well since she has been to the doctors she hasnt gotten better...I think the antibiotics make it worse her gums swelled up last night..problem is I want her to stop takin the antibiotics because of the swelling and blisters but she has a bladder infection I dont know what to do someone help !

this is called coxsackie illness. it is a form of hand, foot mouth disease. It is viral and antibiotics will not help. Unfortunately the only thing you can do is to try to stay hydrated and stay away from people. It is very contagious! Look it up on the internet and you will find all your answers!
Best wishes!

So, I had all the above symptoms as well back in January of '08. I had what I thought was a flu or strep throat. I had a fever, achiness, sore mouth, inflamed gums, over 15-20 canker sores on my tongue, inside my cheeks, on the roof of my mouth, and several cold sores on my bottom lip. My throat was so sore, I could barely swallow water. My id**t doctor told me it was a flu and told me to drink lots of water and sleep. Later I did some research and figured it was gingivostomatitis. I had NEVER had cold sores in my life before this occurance. Now I get cold sores every once in a while. I must have gotten them from a friend or my boyfriend. The information below may help and an anti-viral like Acyclovir. Hope this is helpful, because I remember how painful and awful it was.

http://dermatology.about.com/cs/oralherpes/a/oralherpesbasic.htm
Fever Blisters - Primary Infection
The first time the skin in or around the mouth comes in contact with the herpes simplex virus; the outbreak occurs inside the mouth -- on the gums, tongue, and throat. This is called gingivostomatitis. This first infection occurs most often in childhood, and the highest incidence of infection occurs between 6 months and three years of age. Children get pain, fever, swollen lymph nodes, and may have difficulty swallowing. These symptoms last for about a week and resolve spontaneously. Children with gingivostomatitis are at risk for dehydration if the pain keeps them from drinking fluids. Water-based popsicles are sometimes used to provide hydration and pain relief.

i'm 14 years old and about 3-4 days ago i developed a sore throat. After that a cluster of sores appeared on the back of my tongue. I also have inflamed gums. Pz help some1!!!!!

I too have had mouth sores. started out with 1 on lip, then multiples on gums, roof of mouth and then developed fever, chills, very sore throat. New symptoms cropped up every day. Er dr said I had strep throat and hand, foot, mouth which is a virus. I also work in a pharmacy. Problem is I was a week into the symptoms. anti-viral drugs (zovirax) need to be used within 48 hours of symptoms. 2 days later, I went to see regular dr. I DO NOT have hand, foot, mouth, it is shingles. Shingles is a form of herpes virus, however it is basically adult chickenpox. It is extremelly painful, and it will resolve itself in about 2 weeks. There is no magical cure, you can only treat the symptoms. I swished with benadryl for the swelling and itching, used motrin for the pain, also oragel on the lips, and waited it out. Contrary to other postings, the sores do not feed of of antibiotics, or types of food. Shingles breakouts happen in adults usually when the immune system is down, your worn out or burning the candle at both ends. Have your dr test you for herpes zoster Cchickenpox, shingles) it is actually fairly common on the skin, just not in the mouth. Hope this was helpful.

Found this site, and glad I am not the only one. It's been about 6 days, have yet to go to the doctor.

It started out with a sore throat, and I thought it was just my sinuses, but the throat got worse, I then noticed my glands were extremely swollen, I had pounding headache spasms, but the fever and headaches are gone, about the time the sore throat started getting bearable to swallow I developed all these sores, like canker sores in my mouth, on the inside of my cheeks, tongues and on the top of the mouth. I also have had swollen gums the past 4 or 5 days, which are painful to eat on. I have no desire to eat, it hurts too much, and even drinking water stings very bad. About 4 days ago I started getting tons of mucus in my mouth, I was spitting it out left and right, it started clear, but for the past two days, it's been a yellowish color. It's disgusting, and doesn't stop. I have been taken benadryl though, it helps dry it up and also helps me sleep when I am in pain. I also have awful breath, and I think it's my gums. I rubbed a q-tip on them and then smelt it, and it was putrid.

I am miserable, at least I am finally going to the doctor. I have never wanted to get better from something in all my life.

I have no tonsils either, but I heard you can get strep anyway.

I am thinking it could be strep, or even mono, but it could even be that hand foot and mouth disease or even Gingivostomatitis.

I am worried and scared it could be something really bad. Because the sores are really smarts.

MY DAUGHTER HAS THE EXACT SAME SYMPTOMS....HOW DID THIS GO AWAY. DID YOU GET ANY ANSWERS...OUR DOCTORS SEEMS TO THINK IT IS ORAL HERPES. ANY REMEDIES?