I have a ring shaped soar on tongue. Almost look llike the shape of ringworm. But feels like a burn. Doesn't seem to be getting better. I am trying to figure out what it could be and what caused it. Can anybody give me any suggestions on what it is and how to heal it?

Marie,

I have been searching all over the internet for someone who might describe their tongue the way I do, with a "ringworm" like sore on it! I think I have this same mysterious migrating, burning sore. Did you happen to ever figure out what it was, or what caused it? Any help would be most appreciated. Mine comes and goes: here for a week or two and then gone for a day to a week, and then back again. It's never predictable, but is usually on the tip of my tongue somewhere. It also usually starts out small and then grows to be a larger ring day by day, and then eventually disappears. Doctors are dumbfounded with it and no one seems to have any answers or direction for me. I am sincerely hoping that you will. Thanks for your time!

Paige
***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Sounds like a tongue ulcer. My daughter has the same thing.

It's NOT an ulcer. . . or canker sore. It is different. Both ENT and Rhumatologists don't know what it is. Very frustrating. . .

It is NOT an ulcer. . . or canker sore. It is different. Both ENT and Rhumatologists don't know what it is. Very frustrating. . .

My wife has the same thing, and it is not an ulcer or canker sore which i normally get from spicy foods or high acid foods.  We just noticed hers today and are searching the internet to find out what it is.  When she showed me i first said looks like ring worm but not sure you can get it on your tongue.  She said it feels like she burned her tongue but has not had any hot foods that would have done that......

Look up geographic tongue

I have the same sores on my tongue they have been coming and going for the last 5 months. I never had them before! Its weird so if you guys figure out a cure or what its called i would be much appreciative!

I also find i get them after spicy or acidic foods, but i have had these foods all my life and like i said the sores have only been appearing for the last couple of months

Sorry to bring to life such an old post, but since it's unanswered, I figured it can't hurt! I have gotten these rings on my tongue, on and off since I was a kid. My mom took me to the Dr. when they first showed up and he said it was an allergic reaction, probably to citrus. And sure enough, if ever I eat pineapple (especially this), oranges, lemons, or candy with too much citric acid, the rings appear. They're sore, but for the most part it's worth it to me to still eat the food. It's the only reaction I have to citric acid, but there it is! That's all I know! :)

It is called a geographical tongue. I was diagnose with it a year ago. It normally happen around my cycle. It is caused by stress and spicy food. Most women get it due to hormonal imbalance. Check with you ENT or oral pathologist. I just wish it was a cure. It is benign. It annoying to say the least...oh only 1-3 precent has this issue.

Did you figure out what it was because I have the same thing on my tongue it started out small and is getting bigger but it's going away as it grows. I have been sick with I be love strep throat and it showed up about 3-4 days ago.. Please help if you know what it is. I don't have a doctors apt till April 9th

I have gotten ringworm on my tongue, and it usually comes with a whole lot on your skin that you may not be able to see. I'd recommend getting prescribed pills that you take twice a day for so many days in order to fully get rid of the infection. Also, make sure your animals are treated. Otherwise, it will continue to return.

could it be thrush

I had the same issue white rings on the tip and sides of my tongue. I searched the internet and couldn't find what it was. Recently I started the Daniels Fast and cut out all yeast, dairy etc. after 10 days I noticed the rings are gone and my tongue is back to a normal pink color. It seems that I may have had to much yeast in my body also maybe a form of candida as well. My tongue no longer feels as though its being cut when I eat pineapple. Hope this helps.

I've had it for about a 1yr+ now. I suffer from tongue issues EVERY FREAKIN DAY & I was wondering what exactly is this that you mention??? HELPPPP.