I am on day 9 of recovery after tonsillectomy surgery. A lot of my pain has decreased, as well as much of the swelling in my tongue, and excruciating pain when I swallow, etc. But I am having a new sensation: the back of my tongue, throat, and roof of my mouth feel almost like they have canker sores on them. It feels kind of bruised, as if I irritated it from sucking through straws, and feels like canker sores when I swallow. Instead of my tongue being swollen now, it feels like the roof of my mouth is bruised or something. Has anyone else experienced this? I just wanted to check because it seems like a new pain or sensation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi! I am on day 9 myself and i'm experiencing new pain. Yes the pain has decreased immensely but now there is a new pain in the back left side of my throat. It hurts a lot to swallow its like sharp pain!! like a needle stabbing me in the left side when i swallow. Yesterday i was in the worst pain ever on my right side.... i had someone call the nurse for me and she said its my nerves coming back to life. She said is should go away in the next 48 hours. Well it did but now i have pain on my left side. I don't know if its my left side's nerves coming back or what!?? Weird!! i'm just sucking on ice and it feels better. I stil can't talk!! Can you??? let me know whats up....

I just got surgery on monday so I came here to see whats up with other peeps with the same problems . I laughed so hard at all of you because every word of pain and frustration is oh so true! God Bless the world!

I get canker sores and started feeling like I was getting them on day 5. While it's very possible (especially since I tend to get one any time I get a cut in my mouth, or when I'm not getting enough vitamins), now I wonder if that pain is not due to thrush. I am now sure I have it, though it'll take an office visit tomorrow to do anything about it, but I started thinking something was up a few days ago when I found bubbles in the mucus where my tonsils used to be.

Same here... day 5 of painful tonsillectomy recovery. It feels like canker sores and looks like thresh at back of my tongue. Pain meds don't take the edge off. Should I have been prescribed antibiotics with this surgery? does anyone have suggestion's? I live 1 1/2 hours from the hospital and have an crazy busy schedule as is...