This morning I woke up with painful sore in my mouth and it is quite annoying. When my mother checks it, she said it looks bad and I should visit our doctor. I was always terrified of doctors, so I am searching any excuse to avoid this any time I can. That is why I would like to hear more about painful sores, which occur in mouth. Could it be dangerous and should I immediately visit our doctor anyway?

Sores, which occur in mouth, are usually caused by different triggers. Some of these are ill-fitting dentures, braces, or sharp edge of a broken tooth. Beside these, cause could be fungal or viral infection, different diseases or symptom of some diseases or disorders. Any type of mouth sores are commonly occurred, but rarely they cause complications. The most common sore on the lips is a cold sore, with medical name herpes labialis. Cold sores are caused by a viral infection and it looks as a sore that is small and filled with fluid. Next type of sore is canker sores, which are small white or gray-based ulcer with a red border inside the mouth. They are very common but not contagious type. Fatigue, stress or allergies can increase the likelihood of getting canker sore, so you should think about these triggers too. There are some prescription drugs, that resemble corticosteroids or anesthetics, which can be applied to the sores, to help them heal. Thrush or candidiasis is a fungal infection, which tends to develop in the mouth in people who take antibiotics or have a dry mouth. I would not say this is your problem, since those sores are painless, although the affected areas can sometimes appear red and burn. Oral cancer starts as a red or white sore on the lips or mouth, and this kind of sores may or may not be painful. They do not heal and gradually get larger, which is why, is very important that sores which does not heal after 3 to 4 weeks are checked by your doctor.