Hello! I talked to my best friend on the phone today. She hasn’t been to school, so I phoned to see what is going on and to tell her what we did and she told me she has kankor sore, something on her mouth. What exactly are these things? Thank you for the info!

Hi there! I had these once. It was awful. They hurt like hell. Canker sores are shallow, painful sores in your mouth. They are usually red or may sometimes have a white coating over them. I had them inside of my lips, but they can develop insides of cheeks, the base of gums or under tongue. Teenage girls usually get these, but everyone can get them actually. The cause is not known but stress, poor nutrition, food allergies and menstrual periods are being considered. Canker sores usually go away without any treatment. I used Advil to get rid of the pain, but people also use acetaminophen and Anbesol, Oragel, Orabase and Zilactin-B to keep canker sores from becoming irritated by eating, drinking or brushing your teeth. Anyway, I hope your friend gets better soon.