Hey, a few days ago i notice some of my tastebuds are a little white, the first day they hurt, kind of like canker sores. There are a few along my cheeks. They dont hurt anymore, but they wont come off. Im very confused and scared. If anyone knows what this mite be please reply.
Thanks

Legend
Alternative names
Aphthous ulcer; Ulcer - aphthous

Definition
A canker sore is an open sore in the mouth, which appears as a painful white or yellow ulcer surrounded by a bright red area. A canker sore is benign (not harmful). See also herpes, which can also cause mouth sores.
Causes, incidence, and risk factors.
Canker sores are a common form of mouth ulcer. They occur in women more often than men. They may occur at any age, but usually first appear between the ages of 10 and 40.
Canker sores usually appear on the inner surface of the cheeks and lips, tongue, soft palate, and the base of the gums.
They usually begin with a tingling or burning sensation, followed by a red spot or bump that ulcerates. Pain decreases in 7 to 10 days, with complete healing in 1 to 3 weeks. Particularly large ulcers (greater than 1 cm in diameter) often take longer to heal (2 to 4 weeks). Occasionally, a severe occurrence may be accompanied by nonspecific symptoms of illness, such as fever or malaise. Canker sores often come back again in the future.
There may be an inherited tendency to develop canker sores, as they often run in families. There may also be an immune system link. Ulcers may develop in response to a mouth injury such as dental procedures or aggressive tooth cleaning.
Canker sores may also occur at the site of a bite when the tongue or cheek is bitten. They can be triggered by emotional stress, dietary deficiencies (especially iron, folic acid, or Vitamin B-12), menstrual periods, hormonal changes, food allergies, and similar situations. They occur most commonly with viral infections. They may occur with no identifiable cause.

Symptoms
A burning or tingling sensation before other symptoms develop (warning symptom)
Skin lesion on mucous membranes of the mouth
Begins as a red spot or bump
Then develops into an open ulcer
Usually small, 1-2 mm to 1 cm
Occasionally larger than 1 cm
Single or clusters, often appears in groups (crops)
Painful
Center appears white or yellow with fibrous texture
Halo border is bright red (a red halo may not always be present)
May have gray membrane just prior to healing
Less common symptoms, which may appear at the time of the canker but may or may not be related, include:
Fever
General discomfort or uneasiness (malaise)
Swollen lymph nodes

Signs and tests
A diagnosis is based on the distinctive appearance of the lesion. If canker sores persist or continue to return, a health care provider or dentist should be consulted to rule out other causes of mouth ulcers. (These include erythema multiforme, drug allergies, herpes infection, pemphigus, pemphigoid, bullous lichen planus, and other disorders.)

Squamous cell carcinoma may first appear as a mouth ulcer that does not heal, but this is rare. A relatively new ulcer-like condition is hairy leukoplakia, a condition that occurs with HIV infection and may be mistaken for the common canker.

A skin lesion biopsy may be used to differentiate a canker sore from other causes of mouth ulcers.

Treatment
Treatment is usually not necessary. In most cases, the canker sores go away by themselves.

Severe mouth ulcers (larger than 1 cm or lasting longer than 2 weeks) may require evaluation and treatment. In these cases, topical or oral (by mouth) tetracycline suspension may be given, with instructions to hold it in the mouth for 2-5 minutes before swallowing.

Tetracycline is usually not prescribed for children until after all the permanent teeth have fully developed. If children use tetracycline suspension before their permanent teeth are fully developed, it can permanently discolor teeth that are still forming. Multiple, painful mouth ulcers may treated with an antiviral agent such as acyclovir.

Topical or oral corticosteroids are rarely used, but they may reduce inflammation. Dexamethasone suspension may be given with instructions to rinse the mouth and spit it out; or dexamethasone, prednisone, or other corticosteroid may be given systemically (in a pill or injection, for example).

Avoid hot or spicy foods to minimize discomfort. Mild mouth washes such as salt water or over-the-counter mouth washes may help. Over-the-counter topical medications (applied to a specific area of the mouth) may reduce discomfort and soothe the ulcerated area.

To prevent bacterial infection, brush and floss your teeth regularly and visit the dentist for routine care.

The easiest home remedy is to apply hydrogen peroxide (1 part hydrogen peroxide and one part water with a cotton swab) to the canker sore. Then dab a small amount of milk of magnesia on the canker 3-4 times a day. This is not only soothing, but appears to help healing.

Expectations (prognosis)
Canker sores usually heal spontaneously. The pain usually decreases in 3 or 4 days. Other symptoms disappear in 10 to 14 days.

Complications
Oral thrush or other Candida infections may occur following the use of antibiotic treatment for cankers
Rarely, secondary bacterial infections may occur (cellulitis, Ludwig's angina)
Oral cancer is not a complication of canker sores, but if an ulcer lasts more that 2 weeks, cancer may actually be the cause of the ulcer. Therefore, any ulcer lasting over 2 weeks should be evaluated by a physician.

Calling your health care provider
Apply home treatment and call your health care provider if symptoms of canker sores persist or worsen, or canker sores recur more often than 2 or 3 times per year.

Call your health care provider if symptoms are associated with other problems such as fever, diarrhea, headache, or skin rash.

Thanks... it miiiight be cancer.. because i know alot of people in my family have had cancer, but im still only 13. :( i dont think there canker sores though, because there are tons and they dont hurt now. im confused

And another question,
Can you get Herpes from kissing someone? or touching them?

It is possible to get Herpes if you kiss someone who aleady have it, or if you kiss someone who don't care about hygiene.

well i did kiss my boyfriend, for the first time like a week ago, but he is really clean. and after that is wen i noticed the things. Does herpes go away on its own? i dont know if thats what it is, but it might be

Legend
Hello StRjj4Ev, herpes is causen by virus and you can get it if your imunne system is weak. And, yes, you can get it if you kiss some one who already have it, it is like any other sickness causen by virus.

ohh... i hope i dont have it, does it go away by itself, or would i need like treatment stuff? I dont know if my boyfriend would have it though, because he hasnt kissed a girl in like 5 months and i dont know how he couldve gotten it. Do you know the symptems for it? if there are any

Also, does missing your period tie into this somehow? because i completly skipped mine, i dont know why, and it was suppose to be at about the time that i noticed the tongue thing...

hey girl!

I personally think you are worrying TOO MUCH :-D

any way< conserning herpes< herpes is like a virus that is in all peoples bodies...but some people have it (regurally), some people never ... and herpes bursts out when immunity system in a humans body collapses, for example when we are ill, when you should get your period (that is the time when womans body is very sensitive), cos you kissed a boy with herpes or cos you drank from somebodyelses glass...
for example my father< whenever he is ill, he has a herpes, this is the way his body reacts to illness.
but that is not the case with me or my brother although we are his children...and my mother never has a herpes, although she kisses him...
I really think you are worrying too much..you have just a little herpes on your lips... a bigger problem is if you have it on some other area, like your back (it can get really big) or (hope it never happens) on your genitals... in that case you should immediatelly see a doctor!!!
Maybe you should see a doctor if you would feel better...probably he will give you some kind of lubricant for herpes...you can also use toothpaste and put it on your herpes before you go to bed and in a few days the problem will be solved :-D

Hmmm, period... could be connected... have you ever seen a accoucheur...you should! womans sexual organs are hidden in the body and woman doesnt know what is going on, only a doctor can tell if anything is wrong... maybe you are pregnant :-D congratulations :-D
just kidding.... well it hapens to me all the time... I cant really tell when I am going to get mine period> my breasts hurt and that is the only sign and a day before I feel shity

I really think this your health situation is conected with the collapse of your immunity system... you are waiting for your period, herpes, the tougue thing,...
My sugestion> take a long bath and dont worry too much.. and if you cant help it go see a doctor.

O0o, thanks. i accualy feel a little less worried now, and my bf said hte missed period could be from alot of stress. Lately my parents have been... well not so nice. and iv been having tons of hw. So hopefully its not as bad as i might think. Thanks

hey i know this is a dumb question... but i guess im paranoid
my bf said that i mitev gotten pregnant, but we havt really had sex yet, i meen hes been down my pants... but like not sex. And he thinks i might be pregnant and hes worried. but i doubt i am cuz i didnt think thats possibal. but hes still worried...

Hi all,

I just read this topic (not everything), but I think, you Strajj4ev you're too paranoid for so young lady.

You cannot be pregnant without having sex, so much you must know in your age and also your bf shall know about this fact. Bring him to this forum and let him talk about this to learn something not to talk to you that way. ;-)

Yeah i guess i am really paranoid... i just dont usually get sick, i havnt thrown up sence 3rd grade :) but i dont know wut it is... so yeah..... im confused and it seems like my boyfriend is trying to scare me. He keeps thinking of the worst possibal situations...and he knows i get paranoid easily.

ugh... now my boobs are sore, and i have a really bad cough... idk wuts going on with me! maybe im just growing, or something im really confused because its all happeneing at the same time, i also have some white stuff on the back of my toung, but i think thats just from my cold and all, its not like candida or yeast infection, so yeah... im really confused

It's normal for puberty age. Our bodies are constantly changing from the day we are born until the day we die. Puberty is the period of time when children begin to mature biologically, psychologically, socially and cognitively. Girls start to grow into women and boys into men.

Hormones cause these changes. The brain knows when the body is nearing sexual maturity. It releases chemicals called hormones. Different hormones are responsible for different changes in you.

Growth hormones are also stimulated -- they make the body grow larger; sometimes very quickly. Arms and legs get longer and internal body organs get larger. Your body is experiencing a major growth surge. This surge lasts about two to three years.

Girls usually become curvier during this time, they tend to gain weight on their hips, (some don't) and their breasts develop.

For girls, puberty can begin between the ages of nine to fourteen. For boys, it will be around age ten to seventeen.

Puberty also brings adolescence - those new thoughts and feelings. Sometimes these physical and emotional changes don't happen at the same time. A girl or boy can possibly mature emotionally before they do physically. The opposite is also true.

You said you see some changes on your breasts? The areola (pigmented area around the nipple) enlarges and becomes darker. It raises to become a mound with a small amount of breast tissue underneath. This is called a bud.

That's my opinion, so no worries, you're ok ... However if you don't feel good, see your doctor, but as I said it's just the puberty age you are currently passing through 8)