Good day everyone.  I am married for two years now and I would give my life for my husband. I accepted to marry him even if I know that he doesn't have that good health and that we will have problems because of it in our lives. But I don't mind, I am with him all the time. To cut long story short, he was diagnosed with bacterial endocarditis and he is using some therapy as well. But the thing that I really want to know is next - is bacterial endocarditis life - threatening heart disease? I hope that it is not...

Good day there MRS Smith. It is nice when you love someone and you want to be with that person, no matter what complications can occur. I admire you and you should keep going through life like this. It is treatable, but it also can be dangerous if you don’t treat it.  You should know that endocarditis is a rare and potentially fatal infection of the inner lining of the heart, or so called -the endocardium. It's most commonly caused by bacteria entering the blood and travelling to the heart. If you let this untreated, it can definitely be fatal.  Although the heart is usually well protected against infection, it may be easier for bacteria to bypass the immune system.

It is dangerous because endocarditis can cause several major complications:

• Stroke and organ damage. In endocarditis, clumps of bacteria and cell fragments (vegetations) form in your heart at the site of the infection. These clumps can break loose and travel to your brain, lungs, abdominal organs, kidneys or extremities. This may cause various problems, including stroke or damage to other organs or tissues.
  • Infections in other parts of your body. Endocarditis can cause you to develop pockets of collected pus (abscesses) in other parts of your body, including the brain, kidneys, spleen or liver. An abscess may develop in the heart muscle itself as well, causing an abnormal heartbeat. Severe abscesses may require surgery to treat them.
  • Heart failure, which can lead to death.

Hey Mrs Smith,

The first thing that your husband is getting as a treatment are antibiotics. If his heart valve is damaged by his infection, surgery is necessary. These antibiotics should actually do the trick but in case they don't, surgery is necessary.

If the infection damages his heart valves, he may have symptoms and complications for years after treatment. Sometimes surgery is needed to treat persistent infections or to replace a damaged valve. Surgery is also sometimes needed to treat endocarditis that's caused by a fungal infection. Depending on his condition, his doctor may recommend either repairing his damaged valve or replacing it with an artificial valve made of animal tissue or man-made materials.

Hey everyone,

It is definitely dangerous if it is left untreated. An infected heart can never go right without a proper treatment, any infection is dangerous if it is left untreated, you can only imagine what an infection to your heart might do then if it is left untreated. Even if he gets his treatment, he is still in a lot of danger because of the complications that can occur and because his heart is more prone to being affected again than the hearts of people who never had this infection.

You can only hope that everything turns out to be okay and be there for your husband.

Hi Smith,

They are all right, this is indeed very dangerous (sorry to tell you that again).

Endocarditis generally occurs when bacteria or other germs from another part of your body, such as your mouth, spread through your bloodstream and attach to damaged areas in your heart. Left untreated, endocarditis can damage or destroy your heart valves and can lead to life-threatening complications. Treatments for endocarditis include antibiotics and, in certain cases, surgery.

Endocarditis is uncommon in people with healthy hearts. People at greatest risk of endocarditis have damaged heart valves, artificial heart valves or other heart defects. I guess your husband is one of them.

Hello there MRS Smith. I admire you as well. I really don’t want to scare you, but this disease can be extremely dangerous and it can lead to the death. It is an infection and this is not something that you should joke with. Endocarditis in most cases occurs when bacteria or other germs from another part of your body, such as your mouth, spread through your bloodstream and it is usually attach to damaged areas in your heart. So, if your hubby left it untreated, endocarditis can totally damage or destroy your heart valves and can lead to life-threatening complications. 

Hi everyone. It is dangerous, but it can be treated. Usually, doctors will recommend antibiotics but if this is more complicated it can be treated with antibiotics. In this case doctor will recommend surgery. Operation is needed in about 1 in 4 cases where the infection is really strong and dangerous. And do not refuse this operation because it can be life – saving. Surgery that may be performed usually include :  replacing a damaged valve with artificial valve. The next thing is that valve repair if the danger is less severe and repair is possible in this case. Drainage of any abscesses that may develop in the heart muscle or other parts of the body is also required in some cases.