I have heard that Klebsiella pneumoniae is one of the most common Gram-negative bacteria seen by physicians worldwide. It made me interested when I have heard that pneumonias caused by Klebsiella pneumoniae are difficult to control. My doctor told me mortality rates have even been reported as up to 50% after antibiotic treatment. He also told me that nitrogen metabolism in Klebsiella aerogenes has also been studied thoroughly, so I want to hear more about this bacterium.

Klebsiella pneumoniae and Klebsiella oxytoca are both opportunistic pathogens found in the environment and in mammalian mucosal surfaces. They are commonly passed by hands of hospital personnel. Important is to know that common sites for nosocomial Klebsiella infections inlcude the urinary tract. Beside this, lower respiratory tract, biliary tract, and surgical wound sites are common sites this bacterium likes to invade. Clinical syndromes caused by this bacteria inlcude pneumonia, bacteremia, thrombophlebitis, urinary tract infection, cholecystitis, diarrhea, and upper respiratory tract infection. Infection in the lungs caused by Klebsiella, called pneumonia, leads to necrosis, inflammation, and hemorrhage in the lung tissue. This produces thick, bloody, mucoid sputum called currant jelly sputum. People at high risk to get Klebsiella infection are middle-aged to older men with alcoholism, diabetes, or chronic bronchopulmonary disease. One of the rarer infections caused by Klebsiella bacteria is rhinoscleroma, which is a chronic inflammatory process involving the nasopharynx. Ozena is also rare condition and problem caused by Klebsiella, which is a chronic atrophic rhinitis characterized by necrosis of nasal mucosa and mucopurulent nasal discharge.