Hey everyone,

Before anything else, I have to say that I am really scared of bacteria. They are the main cause of almost all diseases which occur in people and in animals, they are really nasty and are responsible for numerous of deaths.

My friend has recently been diagnosed with bacterial endocarditis. He has no clue how did he get this or what could have caused it, and neither do I. I don't know anything about this bacterial endocarditis, so I was hoping that some of you might know more about this matter.

Can you tell me what is bacterial endocarditis and what bacteria can cause it?

Hello Adria,

Infective endocarditis (IE) (also called bacterial endocarditis) is defined as an infection of the endocardial surface of the heart, which may include one or more heart valves, the mural endocardium, or a septal defect. Its intracardiac effects include severe valvular insufficiency, which may lead to intractable congestive heart failure and myocardial abscesses. If left untreated, IE is generally fatal.

This is a very dangerous condition, and since it is caused by bacteria, a person can get it in numerous of ways, but mostly by living in an unhealthy environment. I hope that your friend is going to start treating this soon.

There are indeed a lot of ways for someone to get this bacterial endocarditis, Adria.

Endocarditis occurs when germs enter your bloodstream, travel to your heart, and attach to abnormal heart valves or damaged heart tissue. Bacteria cause most cases, but fungi or other microorganisms also may be responsible.

Sometimes the culprit is one of many common bacteria that live in your mouth, throat or other parts of your body. The offending organism may enter your bloodstream through everyday oral activities, like eating gums and brushing your teeth, an infection or other medical condition, catheters or needles, and certain dental procedures. 

Hi guys,

I'm sorry about your friend Adria, this is a really serious condition which like they said, can be fatal.

Usually, your immune system destroys bacteria that make it into your bloodstream. Even if bacteria reach your heart, they may pass through without causing an infection.

Most people who develop endocarditis have a diseased or damaged heart valve — an ideal spot for bacteria to settle. This damaged tissue in the endocardium provides bacteria with the roughened surface they need to attach and multiply. Endocarditis does occasionally occur on previously normal heart valves, but I'm assuming that your friend already had weak heart valves.

This is not good to hear, I feel kind of sorry for even asking this now. 

He seemed so calm when he was telling me about it, I am wondering if this poor guy knew what this disease can do to him. 

He mentioned something about the treatment but I don't recall what he told me. After reading what everyone wrote here, I honestly hope that he will start treating it as soon as possible.

Can anyone tell me know what exactly are his treating options and what are the odds that he is going to get better? Some please tell me this.

Good day folks. Can you tell me more about bacterial endocaridits? I have to go to the dentist today and I am still very scared because I remember that some of you in here were telling me about this. Frankly, I have forget it totally and I don’t have idea what this is exactly and what can happen to me. I know that there is a dangerous to get it at the dentists, but can you tell me more about it. Actually, what I really want to know is What is Bacterial endocarditis and what bacteria can cause it?

Hey there. Look Aurora, I do understand that you are concerned about your health and you should. But I think that you should scroll this site a little bit up to see what those people wrote in here. It is actually a whole discussion and you can read a lot about it. I am aware that you are scared but didn’t you consulted your doctor before this surgery? I think that you should do it – you should consult with your cardiologist first and then you should consult your dentist about this. But if there is some other things that you want to know, feel free to ask.

Hello everyone. I am scared ever time that i need to visit my dentist especially when he tells me that I need to do some surgery. I am scared so much! And I think that I am living in the night mare whenever I go there. Well, I have learned that Endocarditis is an infection of the inner lining of your heart . Endocarditis generally occurs when bacteria or other germs from another part of your body, such as your mouth, and it usually spread through your bloodstream and attach to damaged areas in your heart. It can be very dangerous .

Good day everyone. I hope that you are OK. Unfortunately, I am aware that this bacterial endocarditis can be very dangerous. My friend has it and he has really huge problems in his life. He explained to me that bacteremia occurs as part of our daily living when bacteria that normally live on the skin, the lining of the mouth, or the lining of the intestinal tract enter the bloodstream through small cuts, abrasions, or breakdowns. I am not sure how this bacteria is actually called. Bacteria can enter the bloodstream as a result of minor trauma during typical daily activities such as brushing teeth or chewing. Thus, the mouth is a common source of bacteremia, and good oral hygiene appears to lower the risk of bacteremia and subsequent endocarditis.