my best friend is diagnosed with cervical dystonia and it is pretty much awful seeing him in this condition –his neck is actually kind of twisting and jerking uncontrolled and his neck muscles stiffens and spasms just by themselves and the worse is that those neck spasm are actually causing him unbearable neck pain and finally he was diagnosed with cervical dystonia and it is not congenital condition in his case-he acquired it actually and anyway he is prescribed some drugs that are actually about to regulate some GABA neurotransmitter and I don't seem to understand how come some drug could treat his cervical dystonia for to me it more looks like he needs some surgery. What do you think!

Well, cervical dystonia treatment depends on its severity but first of all on its cause and it is more likely that your friend has some GABA neurotransmitters troubles that have actually caused him this cervical dystonia condition so regarding its cause he was prescribed those certain type of drugs that would be regulating the GABA neurotransmitters. Naturally those neurotransmitter are suppose to decrease the nerve cells activity but in patients with cervical dystonia those neurotransmitters are not functioning properly and that is why your friend is prescribed these drugs that also consists of muscle relaxants and all this would help getting back into the balance regarding his brain activity. My friend's son is also diagnosed with cervical dystonia and is treated exactly the same way regarding his cervical dystonia and it is just that recently he started combining those drugs with diazepam for it could somehow improve his condition for those meds actually act on acetylcholine.

I LIVE WITH SPASMODIC TORTICOLLIS/ CERVICAL DYSTONIA..MY RIGHT EAR WOULD LOVE TO LIVE RESTED UPON MY RIGHT SHOULDER BETWEEN SPASMS AND JERKS..FOR 12 YEARS I HAVE BEEN LEARNING TO MANAGE THIS SYNDROME I NOW HAVE A STRAIGHT HEAD , RARELY SPASMS BUT IT HAS BEEN A LONG ROAD..LIFE BEGAN TO GET BETTER AFTER RECEIVING BOTOX A INJECTIONS IN THE NECK, TRAPS AND SHOULDERS..I RECEIVE INJECTIONS EVERY ELEVEN WEEKS AT THE U. OF MN. TO MAINTAIN ALONG WITH CONTINUING MANY HELPFUL THINGS ON MY OWN..I HAVE TRIED ALL THE PRESCRIP. DRUGS..NONE WORKED AND MOST WERE INTOLERABLE, I ONLY TAKE VALIUM AS NEEDED. PEOPLE LIVING WITH DYSTONA HAVE A STRONG INTERNET COMMUNITY TO HELP . I OFTEN WORK THEIR MESSAGE BOARDS AND TAKE ON A PERSON TO ADVISE ON A PERSONAL LEVEL..FIND A NEUROLOGIST WHO HAS TREATED CERVICAL DYSTONIA, DO NOT GET YOUR NECK MANUALLY ADJUSTED BY A CHIROPRACTOR, BUT CHIRO CARE MAY HELP IN KEEPING YOUR ENIRE TRUNK ALIGNED RATHER THEN PULLED OUT OF ALIGNMENT, HEAT OR ICE OR BOTH, MASSAGE..MYOFACIA MASSAGE WILL HELP THE OVER TIGHTENED MUSCLES BEST..I HAVE TONS OF TIPS.. WATCH OUT FOR DREPRESSION AND ISOLATION...REST ASSURED HELP IS OUT THERE FOR THIS MOST MISERABLE SYNDROME.
GOOD LUCK

Thank you for the information. I was diagnosed with cervical dystonia/spasmodic torticollis over two years ago. It started by feeling like my head weighed too much for my neck. Now it's impossible to keep my head straight, it wants to stay looking right. Medication didn't help and the neurologist referred me to another neurologist that was able to treat me with botox. The first set of injections didn't help but twelve weeks later the second set in different areas did. Instead of doing it the same the third time she concentrated only in the neck area again and it didn't work. The fourth time I told her to please inject the sites that worked at the second visit but she still just did it in the neck area only with larger doses. Next time I'm going to a different neurologist to see if he can do a better job in locating just the right spot. I just found out about exercises because by the middle of the day I'm exhausted. I also want to start getting messages for my tight muscles, I'm hoping insurance will cover it. Sometimes less often then not motrin helps. I want to stay away from medication, I'm a teacher and I need to be clear minded. Can you tell me what internet blogs you work on?