I started having pain in my right shoulder and neck about 2 years ago (March 2010). This has come and gone. I am pretty sure it is do to the tension of my muscles accrued from high levels of stress. I was prescribed klonopin and flexeril for the anxiety and muscle spasms.

I was working out and weight lifting with a personal trainer. She told me I should go see a chiropractor when she noticed how one shoulder was higher than the other. After I did this the chiropractor said I had a reverse curve in my neck and nothing more except he wanted me in there three times a week for the next few weeks. I slowly faded off going as I am self-pay and that got expensive fast.

By July 2010 the pain started getting worse. I was seeing primary care doctor and she prescribed me hydrocodone and physical therapy. The pain didnt really get better though I felt as if I became more dehyrdrated and in more pain overall. When I started working at the nursing home I had her take me off and tried other alternatives. I started having sciatica by march 2011 and some low back pain. I then went back to the chiropractor for adjustments and then, again, faded off from them. I found a job sitting with a lady one on one in her house and this helped as it was no where near the labor of have 15-20 patients a shift in a nursing home.

In June 2011, I started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. And, I loveed it! However, i began to have cricks in my necks or more aches about a month after starting had noticed a slight aching spot on my chest that would come and go. Then the sharp shooting pains from the ribs around my lower thoracic cage. Once, those felt better, which took forever, I was diagnosed with Costochondritis after going to the ER because the pain in my chest got so unbearable I could hardly sleep. Naturally, it being in the area it was I knew to be better safe than sorry. They did the EKG and chest x ray and said all was fine there and diagnosed me with this disease or unknown origin. I was also suffering shin splints the month before this and around this time.

I took about four weeks off and after starting back a week I rotated one of my lower T vertebrates but within normal limits. I was in extreme pain to even walk or lay in bed. To do anything. I just wanted to sleep because then at least I wasn't conscious of the pain. I kept going to the chiropractor and then finally ended up in the ER with more pain. This time my neck and shoulder. Diagnosis-cervical strain. A week later I visited my Physician and she said the X ray showed I had a reversal of cervical lordosis and thatmy c4 and c5 were slightly overlapping. that it is a grade 1. Why am I having so much pain? What can I do for this? Do you think I should have an MRI? Any help or opinions gratly appreciated. I tried to include all the details. The pain is horrible in the neck area more than anywhere lately it hurts to sit straight up and feels like my muscles are always so tense in this area!!!!!

Also I had osteomyilits when I was nine years old and was diagnosed with snapping hip syndrome at age 16. I

Hello, i was just googleing this myself. sorry to hear of all your problems.... i too had and x-ray and have just been diagnosed with reversal of the usual cervical lordosis centered at C4-C5. Intervertebral disc space narrowing and early anterior/uncovertebral osteophytosis at C5-C6. Also, Early degenerative disc disease at C5-C6. Which, i basically have no idea what any of this means and was beging to research when i came across your post. I just know that i am in a lot of pain, constant headaches, Neck and back spasms, both arms will go numb, even low back and hip pain. I dont know if any of this is related..... i dont know why you are in so much pain, nor me. But to answer your question, i think you should get an MRI. i am trying to get one too and from my understanding the will give you a clearer picture of whats really going on...... If anyone else knows any more i would love to know myself but in laymen terms. This stuff on the website so far is toooooo complicated!!! why i need to know now is because i wont see doc for another month!!!!

Hi ladies - I also have trace reversal of cerv. lordosis and disc protusion C5-C6 with a annular tear. My arms and hands get burning/tingling about 90% of my day. I also got the weird pain by my heart, which then my doc sent me for a full Cardiologist exam which my heart is fine. I did have MRI also on lower back waiting for results, but xray said L3.4.5 s1 degenerative disc diseasr and facet joint hypertrophy in L4 L5 which from what I read is swollen joints....geez so tired of dealing with this. Getting cortisone shot in neck tomorrow. Good Luck and Keep in touch.

iNot believe it is so hard to find info on the web about this. I have the same things; I have been getting migraines since I was 18, am 35. I have been through the mill....even had a hole closed in my heart that 5% of the population has because they told me I was having TIA's because my arm would go numb and tingle and my face would fall and go back within minutes. In any case, I was just diagnosed with the same things, and my neurologist told me the best bet is Botox at this point, I am a master's Phd student now, and had to leave work five years ago because the migraines were so bad. I really pushed the issue, you have to be persistent. I =want to go back to work when I get my PhD and was afraid with the way I have been suffering that I would not be able to- I am trying to Botox in October, I will let you all know how it goes!! (Excuse the grammar and spelling, not reflective of my intellect; I am just in a rush)!!!
Good Luck

Hi,, sorry to hear your story . Were both the same pain experience but i think your is worse. I can advised you to see the spinal doctor plus neurologist and ask MRI brain and cervical. Avoid lifting heavy thing, do regular exercises as prescribed by physical therapist or doctor. I hope somehow i help you.

My name is Dr. Evan Katz. I am in Boulder Colorado and specialize in treating reversal of the cervical lordosis. I have published some studies on this topic and have presented here in the USA as well as the University of Lund in Sweden and in Bristol discussing what this means and the research to explain this. The loss of curve when left untreated will lead to further pain, degeneration, and even potential irritation of the nervous system(1-6). However, one treatment technique has been published MANY times to be effective in correcting this pathology.

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Harrison D, Harrison D et al: Modeling of the sagittal cervical spine as a method to discriminate hypolordodis: Results of elliptical and circular modeling in 72 asymptomatic subjects, 52 acute neck pain subjects, and 70 chronic neck pain subjects. Spine 29(22):2485-2492 Nov 15, 2004

Keller TS, Colloca CJ et al. Inflence of spine morphology on intervertebral disc loads and stresses in asymptomatic adults: implications for the ideal spine. The spine J;5:297-309

Hohl, Journal of bone and joint surgery. 1974  “when left untreated the likely consequences of cervical kyphosis are future pain and degeneration.”

McAviney J, et al. Determining the relationship between cervical lordosis and neck complaints. JMPT march-april 2005; Vol.28, No.3

Ozer, Ercan MD et al Kyphosis one level above the cervical disc disease: Is kyphosis cause or effect? Journal of spinal disorders & techniques 2007, Vol 20, issue 1 pp 14-19 ( This study suggests loss of curve increases DJD, pain, increase disc herniation,potential spinal ischemia, and neuronal death)

Uchida K, Nakajima H, et al, Cervial spondyolotic myelopathy associated with kyphosis or sagittal sigmoid alignment: Outcome after A-P decompression; Journal of Neurosurgery: spine 2009; Vol,11, pp. 521-528

i too suffer the same problems as u, i see pain doctor, neurologist, and now chiropractor. putting all the information together i gather it is our over active muscles. in the neck and right or both shoulders. i had botox after 3 yrs of migranes 15 or more a month with sumavel and nubain and zanaflex and topomax and meds to help with migranes. im glad to say that botox helped relieve about half the pain. for about 4 to 6 months. currently i am trying to get my insurance to cover botox again. i am seeing a chiropractor/message therapist and i was told, strectches to do. ice not heat! if i feel pain like stabbing pain. if ur inflamed then ice will help. heat u can do but it will come back if inflamation does not go down. so i need to relax my muscles and retrain them. mine started at 18. and i was highly active. i complained to soo many doctors and they all assumed it was the arthritis and degenerative disc diesease. but i would recommend u ask what to do to relax and retrain your muscles. i read that if this condition gets worse with curvature then it will speed up my digenerative disc disease.

I suffer from the same issues you are all talking about, reverse curve with c5 and c6 degeneration. I was engaged to a Chiropractor and learned a lot from that relationship. When you have a reverse curve in your neck, the weight of your skull is too heavy for your neck to support which causes constant muscle spasms in your neck and shoulders. You also have muscles in your head between your scalp and your skull (temporalis and occipitalis)- who knew? Ok, maybe you did, but I had no idea. These muscles are prone to spasm as well. The sternocleidomastoid in your neck? Yep, that too! All of these spasms lead to almost daily headaches - I feel your pain! Literally! Be careful not to mistake these headaches (sometimes throbbing) for migraines. I get migraines as well and they are very different, although similar in severity. Massage therapy, physical therapy and cranial sacral therapy work wonders - as does a non-drowsy muscle relaxer called Skelaxin. Also, rolling a towel and relaxing with it under your neck or hanging your head backwards over the side of a bed simulates the proper neck curvature and provides a tremendous amount of relief. My ex was very leery about adjusting my neck with the reverse curve and degeneration. It was very tricky, and sometimes adjustments caused more pain than relief. Ultrasound stimulation and adjustments (with an activator only - no cracking) were helpful. As for the chest pain, I get that as well - always on the left and near my heart. It's usually because a rib (or two)has slipped slightly out of place and causes irritation in the chest wall. A chiropractor can also fix this with an activator. It's painless and provides so much relief. I'm not here to preach one form of treatment over another, just to share what has worked in providing relief for me. Massages, stretching and Skelaxin. Hope this helps!

I have been disnose with this as well. My rigth shoulder and are goes numb. and when it is not numb it has shooting pains. musle spmas are horriable.
HELP!!.

Hi there. Not sure how to use this site.
I am female, 27 years old and have had this for two years now diagnosed last year. And suffered with lower back pain for many years.
Three nights ago i suffered a very strange episode with symptoms mimicing a mini stroke. My doctor did some small heart check, pulse, blood pressure etc apparently all clear. I am still concerned about it and just wondering if the lack of cervical lordosis and neck issues described by others could cause a TIA mini stroke?

I also have all these problems with my spine I'm 35 with bad migraines as well plus a lot more other health problems, but a year ago I felt off for a few days I was at work and my blood pressure went up very high 180 over another high number within 10 minutes the right side of my face was drooping I was drooling space sluggish body on right side was just limp felt like someone took a baseball bat and bashed my skull in the back all I can remember of that day to the next is the ride in the ambulance to the scans and my heart staying in tachycardia till the next day, all they could tell me was it's something known as a migraine stroke it's all the symptoms of a stroke I have yet to find out if all of this is conected. I have headaches everyday pain always and numbness starting to be everyday in my hands and feet with tingling and pressure in my knees, good luck hope u find answers soon not much on the net.

I was just diagnosed with the same thing c5 and c6.Started off with just a little pain in my left shoulder was taking Aleve 12 hour ones at least 3 times a day went to the er doctor came in asked what was wrong cause I ended up going into the er cause the pain started going down my arm so he looked at shoulder and said u have pinched nurves and gave me some medicine sent me home a week later after the medicine he proscribed wasn't working for me any more and after waking up to the worst pain yet and not being able to feel my finger tips on my left hand I went back to the er and they did a x-ray it's should I was having spasms from my nurve being pinched then they did a CT of my neck and found out c5 and c6 is abnormal he said my neck is supposed to curve but mine is going straight to fallow up with my doctor about having a mri.Hope something happens cause I am tired of hurting and not being able to feel my finger tips and sleep all night without any pain.