So here's the deal:
I started my period last Thursday and ended on Tuesday. My boyfriend and I had sex on Thursday (the Thursday after I started my period). He wore a condom and it was on correctly. It was my first time and I have been nervous about getting pregnant. I know the condom was on correctly and it didn't rip, tear, etc. Everyone that I have talked to has told me that my chances of getting pregnant are slim to none. One also said I should be fine because I'm not ovulating yet AND we used a condom.

So my questions are: Are my chances of getting pregnant slim to none like they said? Was she right about me not getting pregnant because of me not ovulating right after my period?

Thanks a lot!

It sounds like you did everything right with the condom, so your friends are right - your chances are very slim. For added peice of mind if you are going to continue having sex you might want to consider hormonal birth control.

I've been considering birth control but I can't decide if I actually want to get the pill or if I want the shot. I've heard people say that when they got their shot they gained weight. Others have told me that you don't gain weight with the shot. So I'm still undecided on what I want to do.

I had the shot, had no problems with it at all. Everyone reacts differently to different birth controls, it is often a trial and error to find one which suits you.