Hello! My boyfriend has suddenly developed hives all over his back. Those red patches just started appearing. He went to a doc and I went home. He told me not to worry because it has happened before but I do worry because I have never seen it and it wasn’t pleasant at all. He phoned mw when he came back and told me he was given an antihistamine. What makes him develop these things-he mentioned word urticari. Is it a food allergy or what?

Hello there! Yes, I know very well how urticaria looks like. My child had them developed all around his eyes and he was so swollen I had to take him to the ER. It all depends if it is acute or chronic. Acute lasts for less than 6 weeks and chronic longer than that. Acute urticaria may be caused by food, medications (any meds-prescribed or otc), different infections or insects bites. In chronic urticaria, it is much harder to find a cause. Most often, it isn’t found at all. As this has already happened to your boyfriend, he probably knows what it is all about, although it could be another cause. I am sure he will explain it to you when you two meet again.