My husband had gall bladder surgery in Oct. 08 and feb. 09 he started to have chronic hives everyday almost for about 11 months now. It has been a yr. since his surgery and we can't help but think that the surgery and the hives are somehow related. Can you clarify and tell me it they are related? He takes allergy pills over the counter and they just take the edge off and he is always groggy and cranky. And it is now affecting our sex life. Please help!

I had gall bladder surgery Nov. 2009 and chronic hives  (Oct 2010 till present) followed. I recently had an upper endoscopy done (March 2011) and the doctor found GERD and inflamation in the stomach caused by pooling bile in the stomach. I am in process now of following up for getting rid of hives. I have also learned that I have a latex allergy as well as food sensitivity. I had food sensitivity blood work done through a program called LEAP ( Lifestyle Eating and Performance). I found I was sensitive to corn, coffee, cottage cheese and garlic. I am eliminating all foods, drugs and products containing these. Corn is in so many products and things that I did not even realize. I also have a sulfur allergy and had to find shampoos, soaps, etc without sulfites and sulfates. It has been a process but the learning about latex allergy and all the foods that have to be elimanted because of it in addition to food sensitivities has completely changed my way of living. Now I look at every product that goes on or in my body. My suggestion based upon my experience is to find a good gastroenterologist doctor and a nutritionist who participates with LEAP program and begin working on getting healthy. Water is a cleansing for inflamation as well so I drink 1/2 my body weight is ounces daily. Best wishes to finding your path to being completly well. Marfar

I am so happy to read this post... sorry for you, but happy I can find some answers. I had my gallbladder removed last week and have hives all over my stomach and side. I assumed it was the glue from the tape they used, so I removed the tape. The hives have only gotten worse over the last 4 days. I am using benadryl cream, but that's only reducing the itching.. the hives are spreading. Thanks again for this post and the information you've provided. I will follow up (again) with my surgeon

10 days post op from gall bladder surgery hives all over my body I. can't tolerate antihistamines they knock me out taking zyrtec with some relief anyone get any answers to why his is happening going for a post op cat scam tomorrow

I had my gallbladder removed almost 3 years ago and it took several months till I developed hives. My hands would swell and it seems to get into my joints sometimes. I saw a GI doctor and had both kinds of scopes done, the found GERD but had no answer for the hives. I went to an allergist for testing but nothing come back besides being allergic to cats. I saw a Rumatolagest, they found nothing and referred me to a nuraligest, did a CT scan and again nothing. I become pregnant again and for some wild reason all symptoms stoped!! Our baby is now 15 weeks old and the symptoms are back!! So now I'm one the hunt again for answers. I do not have celiac dieseses but I definitely have narrowed down the list of possible issues. It does seem to be a common result of gallbladder surgery, and food allergies are very common after gallbladder surgery. I am now down to trying to figure out what foods are causing this. Mostly I have noticed, sugar, caffeine, and gluten-anything like bread, noodles, crackers, salad dressing ex....

Has anyone found a cure

This is happening to me too! I had mine out July 6, 2018. I'm a little over two weeks after. I see so many posts about this but no real answers.

I had my GB removed four days ago and noticed the hives since the second day. Today they cover my upper abdomen and sides. Not finding any answers thus far. Definitely not liking the sound of experiencing this for months or even years to come as some have mentioned.

I had mine removed two weeks ago and developed the same thing. The rash started on my abdomen and moved down the front and backs of my legs around my ankles and arms, the rash is almost gone but the itching is still there... not sure at this point what has caused it. I’ve read so much, from allergies to sutures to excessive bile salts, just wish I could find the problem and fix it.

I had gb surgery three weeks ago and I have sudden onset of hives since two days ago. The incision sites were really red to begin with but now I have hives that started in the torso that spread to arms and legs. I am weary of going on steroids. How long does it take for this to clear up on its own? Really frustrating.