I had my first implants two years ago, and a month or two after began developing hives and swellings all over my body. And then after six months they disappeared. After two more one of my first implants ruptured, and I had to get them replaced. Again, a month after the surgery, the swellings came back. I had many tests performed, and the only thing they could tell me was that I was getting hives, which I already knew. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

I had my implants about a year ago, and I have itches and hives since. My surgeon doesn't think there's any problem with the breast implants, but I am sure they are the reason. He only gave me a 180 g Allegra, but nothing changed yet. Somebody on a forum told once that the cause of the hives might be latex, that it is possibly an allergic reaction of my body. Therefore, I am beginning to consider a removal of the implants.

Hi i was reading your post.

I just had implants October 06 and the last few months have unexplained lumps appearing they are individual swellings that pop up every so often
and a little itchy, they last 24 hours ...i take an antihistmine they then disappear. Its a little concerning please let me know yr thoughts.

cheers
Brooke

I too started to break out in hives 2 months after surgery they occur every few weeks but it may only be one hive that lasts for 24 hours
Its a little concerning but does not seem to effect me too much its just annoying.

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

Over the last year and a half I met four doctors and they all said the implants are safe. It's been a very long and painful year and a half and I am living a nightmare, since the gummy bears implants surgery. My vision got blurry, I have pain in my joints that come and go, and skin has marks and molds migrating all over the place. I can't get a straight night of sleep, I am up and ready for a jog at the wee hours of the night, I also feel metal in my mouth, put ton of weight on. My system feels so messed up. I have booked and cancelled extrapolation (surgery to remove them) three times. Doctors keep telling me the implants are safe and I may have some genetic issue that will still be there when I remove the implants. But if you look out on the internet my story is very similar to many others... some women are not even there anymore to tell their nightmare, they're under six inch of dirt. The media will start to pick up on this new silicon disease information, I hope sooner than later.

I have been healthy and athletic all my life. Since the implants my life is hell, I have bills up the ying yang, lost ton of work and feel tired all the time. I just hope that things don't get worse.

I miss my flat chest and my life so much. I hope this trend stopped immidiately because I know other women also will be suffering like I am and there is no help out there. They make you sign a moutain of wavers in case of complications because we woemen are ginney pigs to see if this round of implants a re safe. It's not the first time medication and the sort are tested on the population over half a decade. Then we get the "oops" we shouldn't have approved it. I am now trying to save $7,000 to get them out (now I need a lift and I heard it is very painful for months! They need to cut out the whole nipple and do a T incision all the over the bottom part of the breasts. A scarring nightmare - no pun intended)

Please think before getting a foreign body stock in your body. The media makes it look so simple.. reminds me that the doors to hell are also wide and easy to get in..

Beatrice

I recieved my silicone implants in April and they tatooed a nipple the first week of June. The last week of June I started getting small itchy bumps on my legs (thought they were bug bites). They have gradually gotten worse covering my torso, arms, legs, face, etc. and now have bouts of angioedema. My lips swelling, eyes, tongue, bottom of feet.
I went to the allergist and they did skin tests which showed nothing. He put me on prednizone for 6 days and gave me some zyrtec samples and the symtoms went away. Finshed the prednizone and went on 180mg Allegra and it has come back. I started taking the zyrtec samples again to see if the would help.
Bottom line is there is nothing new in my life except the breast implants and tatoo.

I was reading the post from cjcanet and it sounded so familiar! I originally had saline implants in July of 2005. I wasn't happy with them as they both had a "double bubble" like appearance at the bottom of the implant, although the left side was worse than the right. In March of this year I decided to have the saline implants removed and have silicone put in under the muscle with a lift. The first rash was after 4 weeks of surgery...I started to get an insane itch and was told it was part of the reconnecting of the nerves in my breast tissue. Anyhow in an effort to stop the itch I put cocoa butter on it and broke out in a terrible blisterey type rash! My doctor prescribed Prednizone and it went away. Just 3 weeks ago it came back but this time on my arm, chest (between my breasts), on my upper back and then started on my leg. I again went to my doctor and she prescribed the same thing along with a pill to stop the itch and my rash is gone now and the itch has subsided a great deal. She has referred me to an allergist. I'm afraid once I'm off the Prednizone the rash will reappear....My appointment with the allergist is in 3 weeks. I'm still hesitant to start blaming the implants but at this point it seems too coincidental.

I had saline implants too and now just had them replaced with silicon for rippling reasons, but have been getting these hives you all are talking about for about a year and a half before they were put in. I take clariton for them and sometimes Benadryl. Both seem to help, I ran into some one one day who had the same thing and she said they just went away one day and she never got them again. She never had implants. My doctor thinks it is an allergy to something as easy as latex or a common house hold item. Some get allergies as they age and some grow out of them. I personally don't think it is the implants. Doing research on my own and with several doctors I have found that if you take 500 people, you may find at least 50 of them with implants, then 10 with problems that may have started to appear after the implants were put in, you could find 5 of them willing to talk and blame the implant/doctor/company. I love mine and would do it again!!!

I had my saline implants put in april 01 - and about 1 year later I developed allergies - itching and hives. The implants were ruled out by 3 doctors -- but I had always suspected they were the cause. I have lived with the allergies since -- and have taken several different kinds all seem to work - allegra, zyrtec. Most recent perscription and the best yet is Hydroxyz HCL -- it has worked the best so far.

I currently have Saline Breast impants and I too started getting a bad rash. I have the worst time in the summer months when you swet, it's like my swet is stinging my skin and makes the rash worse. I went to the doctor and they figured out thru many tests and a skin biopsy that I have discoid lupus. I believe this all to be related cause prior to surgery I only had asthma and allergies. I now know ladies we have a big problem, look at all the post on this site alone. we need to take action there has got to be some way to prove the doctors wrong. There are too many of us and numbers are going by the thousands daily. We need to come together as a whole to stop before we destroy generations of woman. thanks

i had my silicon implants surgery a month ago after about two weeks i started getting pimples in the top port of my breast it was itchy i asked my surgeon and he told me to just observe and wait to see if it got worst. Well it got a little worst and then it started diminishing. NOW i have a rash on the bottom section of both breast in addition i feel lumps like veins and its very pinkish. At first i thought they were strech marks but in addition to all that i'm mentioning i also had the skin from the nipple down harden it feels rough. I have looked on the net and found that the most common diagnosis with the symptons that i experience is NECROSIS hopefully i'm wrong but at times and only after the surgery i have also had rashes and itchy sensation on the top of my fingers. You should check this site i think is very helpfull. http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C400828.html

Hello, Ladies, and may I just add my experience to yours?
I have not had implants. I have, however, had gastric bypass surgery, followed 6 months later by surgery to reomove the gallbladder. Approximately 6 months after that (6 months ago) I began breaking out in big welt-like hives. At first, they were at spots where there was contact, such as my bra band or the elastic waist band of my panties. Now, I get them from my watch band, or even on the bottoms of my feet from simply sitting in a meeting for an hour. I tried eliminating sugars and foods, and have seen no distinct change. Benadryl doesn't help, nor does Zyrtec. In fact, if I take it at bed time, I wake up with new hives anyway. I have recently started taking a Thyroid compound of T3 and T4 for sluggish thyroid, but it has not affected the hives so far. So, I think the link must be related to the surgery itself, and not necessarily the implants.

I also have breast implants and have been suffering from chronic hives for 2 months. As a child I was always sensitive to chemicals and struggled with allergies. I was very concerned about what would happen if I got breast implants. Everyone told me that as long as I wasn't allergic to latex I should be fine. I've had breast implants for 9 months now and I'm not so sure as to how safe they are. The first few months after surgery I noticed slight red rashes appearing on my breasts. I noticed that when I got hot the rash appeared. Everyone told me it was because the skin was stretching. I believe it was because I'm sensitive to the material the implants are made of. Now I suffer from hives for the past 2 months. I must note that an allergy attack to febreze air effects started my hives. However I am very suspicious that my hives have not gone away. I feel my body is on toxic overload from surgery, the febreze, and my immune system is burdened by the breast implants. I am looking to have the implants removed. They are beautiful but so not worth it. I regret ever getting them. The risk was great & I took that gamble. I gained knowledge but lost physically and emotionally.

Hi all, I had implants about 8 months ago and couldn’t be happier until 2 months ago I developed hives! It would come and go, sometimes my lip would swell up and once my eye swelled up. It looked disgusting. The only thing that relieved the itching was to put menthol cream (found in chest rubs) directly on the swelts and red patches. (that took FIVE weeks to find out)
I am not allergic to a thing and searched the internet looking for answers. I even thought it was the implants but I doubt it. Then I found a sight ICUS which helped me a lot. I hope it helps you. I am going for blood tests because I have always been aneamic and the doctor thinks perhaps the surgery triggered something that was always there.
It took a long time to decide to get these babies and I don’t want to have them removed for the wrong reasons.
http://www.urticaria.thunderworksinc.com/index.htm

Hello ladies. Here's my hives story: I had cohesive gel breast implants (gummy bear implants) put in 6 months ago, and after about 5 weeks started to get hives. I've had hives a few times over the past two decades, but they always disappeared after a relatively short time. I didn't worry much about this outbreak, assuming they would simply stop. But it is now 5 months later and I am still plagued with them. I used Benadryl at first, and then my doctor recommended Zyrtec. It works well, relieving me of the symptoms for a day or two, but inevitably the hives return. I don't want to be taking medications on a regular basis; I believe it's very bad for the system. But when I'm about to jump out of my skin from the hives, I resort to the meds. The surgeon says there's no connection with the implants. Maybe there isn't, but maybe there is. It just seems logical. I do like the improved look of my body, but in hindsight, I wish I hadn't had foreign matter put into my body. I did try acupuncture, but after 3 sessions there was no change (also had little needles applied to one ear, that remained in place for a week), but nothing helped. It's too costly to keep at it, since there's no way to know if the acupuncture will help. Afterall, if the hives are a reaction to the foreign matter in my system, moving around the energy probably won't get rid of the problem. I'm reluctant to have the implants removed, because I don't know for sure if they are the culprits. Also, I don't want more surgery, more expense, or the need for more recovery time.
I've been looking around for natural antihistimes, remedies etc., but haven't come across anything that's really helped. I hope we all manage to get relief soon, and to get to the root of the problem of the hives.