I have heard that Chlamydia is sexually transmitted disease, which can easily spread between partners. Since I had unprotected sex, I wonder if I could catch this infection. I think I have heard symptoms might not occur at all, so I am a little bit worried about myself. Can you tell me more about Chlamydia, and its symptoms, if they occur? What is the treatment of this sexually transmitted disease?

Chlamydia is very common sexually transmitted disease caused by bacteria called Chlamydia trachomatis. This serious disease can damage women’s reproductive organs. Problem with diagnosing this disease is because it has only mild or even no symptoms at all. Once this disease is diagnosed, it could be easily treated and cured with antibiotics. About symptoms, it can occur as abnormal vaginal discharge, or burning sensation when urinating. Beside this, you might notice lower abdominal pain, low back pain, nausea, fever, bleeding between menstrual periods and pain during sex. Male population may experience discharge from the penis, burning sensation when urinating, burning, and itching around the opening of the penis. There are two kinds of testing for Chlamydia, sample from an infected site, or urine testing. Treatment is simple, usually azithromycin or doxycycline are the most commonly used medicines. If you leave Chlamydia untreated, it could cause serious reproductive and some other health problems. That is why if there is any doubt, you might be infected, ask your doctors to be tested for this bacterium.