Few days ago, we were talking about sexually transmitted diseases in the school. I was especially interested into one disease, called gonorrhea. I think one friend of mine told me his cousin is infected with this bacterium. That is why I would like to hear something about this problem. Can you tell me how this infection can be diagnosed and treated?

Gonorrhea is sexually transmitted disease, very commonly occurred in population. Bacteria that cause this disease are called Neisseria Gonorrhoeae, and it can grow in internal reproductive organs. Beside those, gomorrhea might grow as well in mouth, throat, eyes and anus. A doctor can obtain a sample for testing from the parts of the body likely to be infected, such as cervix, urethra, rectum, or throat. Then he should send the sample to a laboratory for analysis. Gonorrhea that is present in the cervix or urethra can be diagnosed by testing a urine sample. This test works better for men than for women, but anyway it is not a problem to conclude if person is infected. Several antibiotics can successfully cure gonorrhea in adolescents and adults, but drug-resistant strains of gonorrhea are increasing. That is why successful treatment of gonorrhea is becoming more difficult. It is important to take all of the medication prescribed to cure gonorrhea, medication will stop the infection, but it will not repair any permanent damage.