:-(
%-) >:( :'( ? o.O :O ? ! I am addicted to methadone. I have
been taking it for 1 year,I started taking it to help withdrawl from the
Duragesic patch 75. I used for 2 yrs. I was in alot of pain at that time. I thought the patch made me feel awfull.because the effects of the patch would stop before it was time to put another one on.1 patch every3 days.I
started to withdrawl.I went through HELL.now, i can't get off Methadone!.
I tried weaning,very slowly, I felt so terrible, I was in withdrawl. I can't
understand, I weaned off Percocet 3 times, I got off the Duragesic patch75
cold turkey 4 times. I am a strong women. I wish someone would tell me
how to get off Mehtadone? short of admitting myself in a Institution.for
Methadone addiction. I know i need help,If anyone has gotten off, or knows how, please share it with me. I have read alot of stories of how
these people suffer from Methadone addiction, but I havent read any
success of anyone getting off Methadone. I am beginning to feel hopeless
This is my story, it would be nice to have a happy ending. untill then I
will keep reading, and pray, someday soon, maybe I can write my
success of beating Methadone Addiction.

I really sympathise with you. Methadone is a discusting alternative drug that they give to addicts, just because it is legal, but it is still a drug of addiction. It doesnt make it any better than illegal drugs.

Just because you are an addict does not alter you in any way or make you bad,

l think you have to slowly and ever so slowly ween your self off it, no matter how hard it is !

Try joining some group . I am in Australia we have a group called Oddessy House, who support people with addictions. You need a lot of emotional support. I would be glad to listen to you.

I wish you luck

"Methadone is a discusting alternative drug that they give to addicts"
The DUNCE who wrote this retarded statement must be a 12stepper who has absolutely NO IDEA what opiate withdrawl is or feels like. The Methadone was a good choice for you to use to get off of Fentanyl (which is about the strongest narcotic ever invented - 1000 times stronger than Heroin) - The problem is that Methadone is very hard to get off too and has the same withdrawl as anything else. The good thing about it is that there are few negative effects and you can get back to your normal routine.
I got off of Oxycontin 320mg/day with 130mg/day of Methadone. I have weaned myself down to 22.5mg per day without much trouble or withdrawl. It is a long process & it's not easy, but you didn't get addicted overnight and the pain might have killed you without the Fenanyl so don't let some as****e discourage you from getting through your ordeal. Even if you drop by 2mg a week, you're getting there. For me, I think that the last 10mg per day will be the hardest.
Methadone is not a "distgusting alternative" -It has helped thousands of people get off dangerous narcotics -both prescribed and illicit. I don't know what I would have done without it as an option. I know I wouldn't have been working & supporting my family for the last two years without it. I'd probably be dead! -Dan in Des Moines

PS: Peachybum - What do you know about methadone? It is just as illegal as Oxycontin or Dilaudid. Do you think that some support group could ever help overcome the withdrawls of long term opiate addiction?

hi, I admire what you have been through. I have had a really rough past 5 years dealing with chronic pain and drug abuse. I herniated 4 of my disks during a car accident ( our car fell off a 150 ft cliff, no seat belt or airbags, so I'm just damn glad to be alive) however the amount of pain that I was in on a daily basis I could never put into words. I have a great husband of 11 years, 3 beautiful children, a very successful running daycare bussiness and during those dark days there was not a second that went by that I was not trying out how to kill myself because I couldn't bear the agony. Hell I was bedridden anyway and unable to keep up with any of my household or child rearing duties. My daycare bussiness had to be shut down. I was prescribed oxycotin 80mg two times per day which hardly made a dent in the pain. So I figured out how to use a needle and inject it intravenously. Finally I had adequate pain relief but it came at a very high price. Of course my prescription only got me through 2 weeks if I was lucky and the rest I had to buy illegally at insane prices. After 8 months of this nosense of nearly bankrupting my family, risking jail time and ruining my veins I was desperate for another alternative but knew that I could never go back to the days of unrelenting pain. A friend of mine that had also suffered with chronic pain told me about the local methadone clinic ( I had never even heard of methadone) and it literally saved my life. 160mg/day did just as good at controlling the pain as injection 400mg. of oxycontin daily. And I also got my self respect back not having to particiapte in illegal activity and possability of overdosing very easily. I also didn't have to spend half the day in the bathroom trying to shoot up. Methadone was my only shot at a normal life again. What a godsend this drug is. It was totally painless switching over. I wouldn't be at all bothered at all if I had to stay on this drug for the rest of my life. Diabetics have to take their insulin and chronic pain patient or past addicts NEED their methadone. I don't see what the big hurry is to get off methadone at all. IF you are comforable and at a stable place in your life on the dose that you are on don't f**k with it. ITs nothing to be ashamed of. If you do feel the need to get off of it still then I agree with Dan to taper off very slowly. Maybe even only 5-10mg. per month. Why suffer?????? The drug is perfectly safe to stay on long term so don't worry. And if at anytime you start to feel unpleasant go back up on your dose. Just thank god the medicine was there when you needed it.
Melissa Waterloo, Iowa

i wish someone could help me understand my husbands problem. he is a meth clinic he lies about his dose. he is up and wired and getting peranoid. cant take much more

There are people out there who have made it! And I am one of them! I was on methadone for two years. I started the methadone program at only nineteen after a long addiction to oxycontin and patches as well. In order to get off methadone you are going to have to check yourself in some kind of detox program. I went to rehab to detox, you need professional to monitor you, the process is very dangerous. The rehab will try to make you as comfortable as possible. The main thing for you to do is be strong. If you can make it through this you can make it through anything. My life is so much more rewarding now. I have been off mathadone for over a year now. It's a hard road to go down. TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure that your ready and do it at your own pace. MOve your dose as low as possible before you check yourself in to rehab. I went in at 80mg and it was hell! If you do choose to do it by yourself, have someone with you, monitor your blood pressure and heart rate. Keep yourself hydrated with clear liquids and gatorade. Have a comfortable bed!!! I was in a rehab bed it was terrible. You won't sleep much, but it's nice having something comfortable to lay and squirm in! Good luck with you journey!

I know exactly how you feel; I started kicking Methadone two months ago. I was prescribed it for pain; I lost an arm, parts of both of my feet, a broken knee and right elbow due to accidents cause from a previous addiction to opiates. I must say that it is not as painful as kicking other opiates like Oxy of H but it does last longer. I found for myself checking into a detox was my best alternative but before I did I got myself down to 30mlg. a day. Sleep came slow, but the medications given at the detox helped, I started with 3-4 hours a night now I am up to 8. The medical staff there were great and the support I found helped a lot with the mental side of withdrawal. I did join a 12 step program and found other people who have been where I am now. For me it helps with the depression that kicking causes. Not saying it is the right road for everyone but for me it was right. I need to say that I have been in some pain and mental anguish but I had to ask myself what was more important to me living free or depending on a drug for the rest of my life. That is what it came down to; the answer to that question is what gets me through. Methadone is right for lots of people but not for me.

I wish you the best because it is a long road that I had to contemplate a long time before I followed it.

I am 33 and have been taking about 40-50mg of methadone for 8 months and am just now finding out about how addictive this drug is. I immediatly tried to quit thinking scince it had been a moderate dose and only 8 months that i could. Boy was i wrong!! I have cut down to only 10mg a day and did this at once with no side effects. Is this because I have only been taking it for a small amount of time or just a lucky one. i take 1 10mg pill at noon and do not feel any different. (been doing this for 1 week) or will it get worse?

To Newman
You seem to know what you are talking about . Maybe you can help me. I have been on Methadone for about 6months. I am now down to about 5-10 mgs a day. Will I withdrawl bad? If so what can I do to help ease the withdrawl?

Congratulations you have already come so far! I would suggest that you get down as low as you can before you completley quit. Starting now I would move down one mg. every one to two days whatever you feel more comfortable with. When you get down to one milligram i would take that dose for a few days if you prefer, I would. What I did to ease the withdrawls was take a small amount of xanex or some kind of muscle relaxer. If you don't have that take Motrin back & body, for over the counter it worked the best for me. I don't think that your withdrawls will be to severe, but everybody's different. I'm almost positive that after your fully off the methadone you will probably have some trouble sleeping. Just be patient and in time you will feel like your old self again. Just remember that if you do have withdrawls that you have made it this far and that it's not worth going back. If you feel like you need to see a doctor go!! It is dangerous to detox off of methadone without a doctor's supervision so be careful! If you have anymore questions I will be more than happy to help! Good luck!

Newman
You should not have told me that I have a million Q's. I'm 28 recently married and have no one to talk to about this. I went through horrible withdrawl from oxycotin,which lead me to methadone. I am trying soooooo hard. Sometimes at night my skin crawls and my body aches as soon as my toes hit the floor. I'm definitly going to try the Motrin. Also, did I mention I'm a school teacher and can NOT be sick during the day. (Don't know how all this happened to me!? ) That's when I usually take it....right b4 I go to work. And for the most part 10mg's have been lasting all day.(until night time) Also, what do you know about what effects methadone has on a woman ...as far as having a baby or fertility or the organs in your body? Sorry for all the Q's Just need someone to talk to who shares my pain.

4 years ago I started at the local methadone clinic. I was in the clinic for two years 3 months 9 days. I got into a soboxone program before leaving the clinic. The first two days on sobox was great then the third !!! the third I felt like nothing I had ever felt like and I have alot of years abusing dope and that is nothing compared to kicking methadone. I had another experience at the clinic I was being detoxed because of insurance my dose was dropped 5mg a day until i was out of the clinic at 35 mg i felt real sick almost delusional I went to the er my bp was 37 over 28 and 22 to 36 bpm. I was told if I didnt come in as i did I could of died.I spent the night at the hospital. No one at the clinic (DRs) believed this I had the ER DR contact the clinic and inform them on my situation . the financial detox was stopped and I was increasesed 40mg ontop of the 35mg dose. This stuff is bad it makes detox and rehab so much harder than ever before for opiates. Well on to my point I had made it 5 months out of the clinic and the last two months I was going through medium withdrawals from the methadone and I hadnt even used it for 3 months. I have been back in for 7 months and I am going into a long term detox and rehab I see no othewr alternative. It is not just the drug it has to do with adjusting my life so I will be an asset to myself and others.Good luck to all and get a support structure then attack.

I am a 33 yr old male who has had 3 back surgeries,ankle replacement,1/2 lung removed, believe me pain sucks. I was prescribed hydros 10/650 7 per day At first I would only take them as i felt needed too then before I knew it 7 became 10 and before long I was in the hospital with liver trouble. About 2 yrs ago I was prescribed methadone. 7 10mg per day. After 2yrs I still am only taking 2 per day on a bad day maybe another 1\2. My point is if you are in pain the drug will give you your life back.

peachybum wrote:

l think you have to slowly and ever so slowly ween your self off it, no matter how hard it is :!:

I wish you luck

Guest wrote:

I am 33 and have been taking about 40-50mg of methadone for 8 months and am just now finding out about how addictive this drug is. I immediatly tried to quit thinking scince it had been a moderate dose and only 8 months that i could. Boy was i wrong!! I have cut down to only 10mg a day and did this at once with no side effects. Is this because I have only been taking it for a small amount of time or just a lucky one. i take 1 10mg pill at noon and do not feel any different. (b een doing this for 1 week) or will it get worse?

I just wanted everyone to know that I am back to my old self it took a couple of months but i feel great and thanks for all the help