I JUST HAD MY WHOLE COLON REMOVED ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO. I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL FOR 16 DAYS. I HAD SOME COMPLICATION. I AM HOME NOW AND MY DOCTOR SAYS MY BOWELS KEEP GOING BACK TO SLEEP. I AM TAKING MIRILAX ONE TIME A DAY TO HELP. IT DOES NOT SEEM TO HELP MUCH. MY ENTIRE COLON WAS REMOVED AND MY SMALL INTESTINE WAS CONNECTED TO MY RECTUM, SO I DO NOT HAVE A BAG. I WAS TOLD AFTER SURGERY THAT I MAY HAVE 15 TO 20 BOWEL MOVEMENTS AND THEN IT WOULD GRADUALLY GO DOWN TO ABOUT 4 OR 5. I AM WORRIED BECAUSE I AM HAVING NONE WITHOUT THE MIRALAX.
HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE, WILL MY BOWELS WAKE UP. DOES ANYONE KNOW????
I AM REALLY WORRIED AND WONDERING IF I WENT THROUGH ALL THIS FOR NOTHING. ALSO THE SWELLING IN MY STOMACH IS GOING DOWN SOME , BUT VERY SLOWLY.
IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THIS, PLEASE HELP ME.
PATTY

I AM PROBABLY FACING A TOTAL COLECTOMY BECAUSE OF SEVERE, CHRONIC CONSTIPATION.
IT WAS UPSETTING TO READ YOUR INFORMATION AND I WONDER IF I WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE CONSTIPATION AFTER GOING THROUGH SUCH INVASIVE SURGERY........................CINDY

i understand the concerns every one has about surgury. i am a 43 yr old. my colon has been asleep as they say for most of my life. laxative abuse and myralax did little but remove the water from my bowels, leaving me with a very swollen stomach and lots of toxins that kept me feeling very ill for years. i was even hospitalized on occation, the first thing in the emergency room was for the nurses to say that i must be pregnant, dur to the size of my stomach, this would hurt my feelings, as i so much wanted another child, but knew that it was the waste inside of me, not that i was pregnant. just in pain from being very ill from not passing gass and not using the bathroom. eating fresh fruits and drinking lots of water did nothing to help me.
after a year of studies by gi doctors and fianally visits to a colon and rectal surgeon, i had my entire colon removed. i was frightened, as anyone would be. i was in the hospital for a week. now, a two months later, i only use the bathroom about thirty minutes to an hour after eating fresh fruit or drinking alot of water. i am very careful not to eat anything constipating, such as peanutbutter, that stuff is like glue to your system.... i am determined to never feel like a fish out of water again. i have my life back... i used to stay in bed all day,,, this went on for years... now i am up to get my son off to school and i dont go to bed until its really time. i have more energy, i have lost the tummy, i am down to under 125# from 150# in just over two months. i think before i put anything in my mouth, i dont eat sweets anymore, i make it a choice to be healthy. i had to wear the diapers for the first two weeks. that was better than feeling so bloated and sick though. the healing time was about four to six weeks. the long scar on my tummy is still tender, i am just thankful to have the changes that have taken place. god bless all of you who are having to go through this. it is hard and difficult for others to understand. i know it is discouraging. im sorry for your pain, hugs, paula

Hi, I had a sub-total colonectomy last February due to severe constipation. I thought all was well I have 6 movements at least a day. Which doesn't bother me as my bowel had shut down before so was just grateful. My tummy had gone down nearly completely. I got small pains in my tummy but nothing serious until the last few weeks. I have notice pains high in my tummy and when I empty my bowels I have a deeper pain. I have also noticed I am not digesting all my food. Going to doctors tomorrow. Has anyone had something simular.

All of you need to get on a specific carb diet and quit eating foods that ferment in your gut. Get the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle", it will get you started. It's sad that you have lost your colons when you didn't have to but unfortunately today our docs would prefer to remove organs rather than heal them. Please, don't let yourself suffer another day. Eat right and you can heal.

I don't think its fair to say that these people didn't need to lose their colons. I have tried every stupid alternative diet/ remedy and sometimes they just don't work. So don't judge these people as being the poor uninformed who weren't smart enough to keep their colons. I'm having mine taken out tomorrow and I am sure life will be better without it. I am sick of trying a whole bunch of stuff that isn't backed up by science and having to try to guess if it is working.
Just because something has worked for you doesn't make it an all powerful cure for everyone else. I don't think anyone is excited or takes it lightly to have their colon taken out.

oh, and i was on the scd (breaking the vicious cycle diet for 3 years) when i had a UC flare due to pregnancy and had my colon removed during my 2nd trimester so that irritates me to say "you didn't have to lose your colon"! i do believe the scd helped me tremendously but i still had my colon removed through no fault of my own. everyone's story is different, be sensitive...

Hi, I'm 3 weeks post open sub total colectomy. I'm hoping someone still looks at these messagesc& will give insight. I keep waiting for the multiple BM's y'all talk about & not happening here. My tummy started to lose the swelling but today it's way swollen like worse than b4 & up like 6 lbs. Ugh so frustrating bcuz I was promised several BM's a day & I for one was looking forward to it since I've not had one in two yrs. Help? Anyone? Pain is bad tonight so discouraging. Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone. I am 54 years old and abused laxatives in my 20's. Since then, I haven't had a normal bowel movement without the use of a lot of chemical laxative (about 22 bisacoydl). I only take them once aweek because they kill my stomach. I have seen a few gastro guys and all they do is try new laxatives on me, which don't work. How do you find someone who will consider surgery. I eat healthy and know normal measures will not help me.  I am so tired of being bloated and in pain half the week and then very sick when I take my pills. Any suggestions?

Do you personally have any experience with colonic inertia?

My heart goes out to those who removed their colon. I'm not a doctor; however, I am a colon hydrotherapist Have you tried to get a colon hydrotherapy, take supplements, and try to change the way you eat? The reason I asked because I do feel bloated and have gas. I don't have constipation. I would do every natural health and wellness strategies before going to a surgeon. Not trying to be harsh, half of the time these doctors have no clue what they are doing. All they want to do is cut here and there.

Again, when people come in for colon hydrotherapy, one time shot will not help overnight. As for me, I do a monthly colonic and try to eat right. Please try to talk to a nutritionist and a colon hydrotherapist.

Good Luck to all!

Hi. I had my colon removed in 1990. It took awhile for the new system to settle down. At first I was having severe problems. I had the surgery because I'd had colitis for 10 years. After that length of time I was advised that the chance of cancer increased. Since then, I live a healthy life. I can eat most things, I hike 20 miles 2 or three times a year, run 3 days a week. The only negative is that something was snipped during the surgery affecting sexual performance. Since then I've learned to appreciate my wife on a different level, and when things work out, it's awesome. You really appreciate it.
Anyway, I don't know what to say about all the posts on this thread. I have learned that diet is a big thing. Those who advise getting serious about what you eat to have healthy intestines, in my opinion, are right on. Whether you can repair the damage done to your intestines, I don't know. so many trends in public health today are linked to gmo's, sugar, and preservatives. You've got to get serious about this stuff.
Mike

This is almost word for word what my wife is experiencing. Please respond if you are still monitoring the posts on this sight. If so we would really like to know how you are doing now.

I was in the hospital for 28 days. I used myralax prior it didn't work either but the result was my whole bowel was blocked. I ended up with colon cancer.

I am 49 yrs old and just had a sigmoid colectomy about a week ago-I was able to have bms in the hospital with the help of miralax-but I stopped taking it and now I haven't had a bm for several days- I will bring it up @my followup appt but I'm growing concerned about this-I have lots of gas-I have passed it sometimes,but with difficulty-I just went back to the miralax-hopefully it will help-hopefully I get some answers from the doctor, but if you get any answers I would like to know too