I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in early 2003 and subsiquently required a total colectomy. I have been doing ok until the last few months and am now finding that everything I consume is causing more frequent visits to the bathroom. Through the day it isnt a bother however through the night it is causing me to have very disruptive sleep which in turn is causing alot of fatigue and headaches through the day not to mention an increase in dehydration. I would like to know if there is a dietry book out there that can help combat a life time of these ailments. I need some uninterupted sleep!
Kindest regards,
Helen Wilson

Helen,

I just posted my solution on a couple post under "J Pouch Girl" with similar inquiries.  I will keep this brief, but look them up if you want more detail.  I also had Ulcerative colitis and a colectomy with a temporary ileostomy and then a take down to engage my internal "J Pouch"  I love it!!!  Best thing ever, however the adjustments to no colon take time to figure out. 

I use psyllium husk powder.  This is a natural fiber that collects the water and food and gives you a much more natural bowel movement.

I take 1 tsp 3 times a day but everyone should go slow and figure out their body needs.  My doctor loves my results and told me to keep doing it.  At night I try not eat a heavy meal as the "J pouch" will want to empty no matter what.  I also take Emergen C packets for the electrolytes per my doctor since I dehydrate no matter how much I drink depending on my activity level.  Also, my bowel movements are always increased when I simply do too much and do have some down time.  Good Luck.