Help - I have colon cancer. Back in 2002 I had a gastric bypass and lost a lot of weight then this past February I was diagnosed with colon cancer and had a colon resection & chemotherapy. They then found out through genetic testing that I have Lynch Syndrome which puts me at risk for various cancers. Sadly another tumor developed that they said was an early reoccurrence. Now I'm gonna have radiation and my entire colon removed in January. Has anyone gone through this experience where they've had a gastric bypass and then a total colectomy? I'm just wondering what to expect. I hear about a lot of weight gain and that is something that I do not want to happen.

My wife had a total colectomy, with ileostomy, after gastric bypass surgery. She was nearly dead and 88 pounds, at her worst point. 6 months of TPN, with no food by mouth, to get her to 105 pounds for the surgery. She gained up to 145 pounds. That is what she weighed when we moved to the MS coast, in August of 15’. It’s now January 2020, and she is 112 pounds. Eats all the time, and it goes right through her. May be back on TON, 3 times a week, soon. There is a new med, Gatex, that can help the 1/3 of her small intestine ( that’s all she has to use) absorb more nutrients. It is one shot a day. It is 22,500 dollars a month and Indy will not pay for it. Life with a gastric bypass and no colon is not very promising...