My cousin is diagnosed with Crohn’s disease. Doctors recommended colectomy after a lot of tests the wanted to perform to check if that is the best solution. I don’t know much about this procedure; just I know it is total removing of large intestine. That’s why I would like to hear some details about what this surgery means. Also I need to know if he needs some special diet after that.

Laparoscopic total abdominal colectomy is operation that removes the large intestine, as you know already. This surgery is used to treat inflammatory conditions of the intestine, such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. Then familiar polyposis and severe, chronic constipation are also conditions that require colectomy. This term laparoscopic refers to a type of surgery called laparoscopy which enables the surgeon to complete the surgery through very small keyhole incisions in the abdomen. After surgery, he is going to be encouraged to increase his activity level steadily once he’s home. Recommend him a lot of walking, because that is great exercise after colectomy. It will help his general recovery by strengthening his muscles; keeping his blood circulating to prevent blood clots and helping his lungs remains clean. After colectomy, he will need a soft diet that is for sure, after all, he’s got his large intestine cut off. That diet after colectomy means he can eat most everything, except raw fruits and vegetables. He should eat this diet until his post surgical check up. If diet makes him constipated, he should call his doctor for advice.

Post Total open colectomy Patient. had surgery five months ago ...still constipated..any advice?

Health Advisor
Hello! I was wondering what did you have colectomy performed for?

A very important thing to think about after colectomy is nutrition. How much attention did you pay on it. You diet should be very low in fat but high in calories. Also, you need to make sure that you take enough proteins, minerals and vitamins and drink at least 6 glasses of liquid.
In my point of you should have talked to your doctor about constipation! Have you done that? You didn’t provide any info on things you have done regarding your constipation.

I have been reading that patients who continue to experience constipation after colectomy often respond to a gallon of bowel-cleansing solution. In a performed trial patients were treated with colchicines and colyte, which proved to have positive affects on regular bowel movements.

How have you been dealing with the problem so far?

In regards to my previous medical history..."Total Colectomy and still constipated"...
Four years ago I received a bad neck injury...herniated discs...C-5, C-6, C-7 and T-1...while waiting for my surgery, I had a volvus and the Dr's. removed my ascending and transverse colon and 1/3 of my small intestine. I was in the hospital for 12 days then discharges and on day 19 (post op) I had my spinal fusion. Both surgeries were slightly sabotaged from the onset due to the vomiting from the colectomy which made my spinal fusion delay in healing and unable to get a good fuse and my staples having to be removed early for the CAT scan so my incision healed poorly. Just one of those things! The volvus had caused a bad infection and as a result my small intestine and the remanding colon never regained function. After four years I had a second surgery to remove the remaining colon and reconnect the small intestine to the anus. Hopeing that perhaps the small intestine would start working if the colon was removed. Four the first three weeks it worked great. But after that the small intestine just stopped working. I went eight days without a BM. The Dr. had no choice but to put me back on laxatives. Just from those eight days I now have a rectocele (my third). The first two were repaired by surgery but since the constipation hasn't been resolved I'm in no hurry to have another surgery. The Surgeon said "Do not get constipated" period. Take as much and as often as I need to of laxatives to never get constipated again. I have tried every diet I can think of but nothing has helped yet. I have seen all three of my Dr's. many times. They are all fully aware of the situation. They just all smile and tell me if I hear of anything to let them know and they will try it. I had read about one surgery were they take a great deal of the small intestine to achieve "dumping syndrome' which in Patients like me just become normal. My surgeon said he wouldn't have any idea of how much to take and what if then I suffered from a nutritional deficientcy. I could see his point. I'm thrilled with one aspect of the surgery, I now do not get dehydrated...which is wonderful....I hated that...without a colon no matter how many laxatives I need to take they never draw that much water out from me. Laxatives work completely different without a colon. After five months I still haven't figured out what the magic amount is. If I take too little I get horrible rectal spasms and if I take too much I get horrible red nodules around my rectum from the costic agent in the medication. Either way if makes for a very un-fun day. Every since the surgery I get these waves of sickness...happens every few hours. I get light headed and burp up a ton of air, then my mouth gets watery....then I get really tired...all in about 30 minutes...happens the exact same way every time, then I recoved and I'm fine. I have tried every combination possible to figure this thing out. I assume it has to do with air I am swallowing...but I went two complete days without eating or drinking a thing and it still happened. Sooo...what about this "gallon of bowel-cleansing" solution? Do you do it at home? Can you buy it at a pharmacy? Please let me know.
Interesting side note: My Surgeon had told me to not do a large volume enema because the small intestine can not accomadate the volume. Can you tell me where to obtain the article from you were reading?
Thank you for any advice.

ive had a full colectomy

Guest wrote:

ive had a full colectomy[/quote my daughter had a full colectomy 6 years ago. has anyone found help for sleeping? She will be college bound soon, and we don't know what to do.

my daughter is 16. Had a full colectomy 6 years ago in 5th grade. She manages okay during the day, but wakes up with a mess every morning. help.

[/list]

I had mine done in 2005. I deal with chronic diarrhea. I am on lomotil, levbid, tincture of opium, verapamil + wellbutrin, buspar, and mirtazapine to try to help me. I also recently started seeing a cognitive therapist for cognitive therapy because they blame my diarrhea on an extremely touchy case of IBS.

I've read there has been some success with medical marijuana in calming the IBS effects. I would grow my own in a discreet room that neither of our children would need to ever see. Unfortunately my wife doesn't support this. I an in NC and short of cancer, marijuana support from doctors is non-existent.

I also frequently just want to die--I mean "why bother?" but I do bother for my wife and girls and those fleeting periods in which I feel wellness. Can anyone offer me anything helpful?

My colon ruptured back in 1994 and have a "J" pouch now. Since then have had 13 surgeries. Through trial and error have found some secrets to help me get through the day. I start by taking a tbs of plain phsylium husk in a glass of h2o, this binds the bile. Then I take 4 Imodium. Then about 20minutes later I eat plain oatmeal. Try and stay away from wheat, dairy and sugar. The only fruit I eat is papaya and avocado. All veggies should be cooked. I only cheat when I am home.

I am 38. I had a full colectomey in 2001. I got pneumonia and and infection. It almost killed me. I have never had trouble with constipation, I have problems with going way too often. The first 4 years were hell. I was anti biotics way too much as the specialist said I kept getting pouchitis. That is where the simulated colon that is made out of the small intestine to create the J-pouch would get irritated and give me the urge to go all the time. I was told that the small intestine can learn to adapt and take some of the liquid out. This has happened but with limited response. Things today have got better but still not ideal. I still get pouchitis and may have to do antibiotic every 4-5th month or so. I have to go to the bathroom anywhere from 6-15 times a day. If things are good, maybe 8 times. Lately I have had to go in the night 1-3 times which ruins your sleep and yes, sometimes you do not wake up and have a mess. Needless to say, this is very hard on the self esteem at times and makes exercise a lot harder. Gone are the days where I would be in a panic to know where the nearest washroom is whenever I went out. I hope that my condition does not get worse as I get older as I do not want to go back to the Ostomy bag.
I can be my own worst enemy with my diet. I can and do eat anything. I have not paid a lot of attention to what makes things worse or better and the Doctors or specialist I see, do not seem to want to give any advise on diet. I am sure my hot hot wings, copious amount of diet cola and greasy foods do not help. I need to get a diet plan going and pay more attention, thats for sure.
If anyone can help with any ideas that are really helping them, I would really appreciate it.
thanks
B

I had total colectomy in 2001. Last 2 years small bowels have slowed down tremendously...I have tried everything, myrelax,amitiza and laxatives. Side affects are too much. What i have found that works for me is plum juice. Not prune, but plum juice. SOmedays i drink a whole bottle, some i only drink a glass. I also have to be careful of how much food i eat. Small meals is the best for me too....If i dont follow this, i suffer

Anyone suffering from pouchitis try this: Buy fresh or frozen cranberries, a lemon and some fresh ginger. Juice it all and strain it.Drink it down. You can dilute it with water but do not add sweetener of any kind.  The D-mannose in the cranberries is the big deal in this cure. Bacteria tend to stick to this sugar and then get washed out of your system. You will notice relief within a day.  It is basically a rest button. If this works but pouchitis continues to return you need to change your diet in order to change the types of bacteria that occupy your gut. Such as, no restaurant foods, no added sugar, no diet soda, more whole foods you make at home less processed foods you buy at the store. Years after I had my colon removed I found that raw sauer kraut helped my stomach heal and digest things I had problems digesting before, like tomato based sauces and highly acidic drinks, and hot peppers. Raw sauer kraut has beneficial bacteria in it to help build your gut flora back to a good balance. It's at health food stores under the label rejuvenative foods. You can make your own too. Just don't buy the pasturized kind jarred in vinegar. It won't work. My colon was removed in 2007 and bowel reconstruction took place the following year. It can be a long road. I hope my experiences help.

I am in the same category. I had a colectomy16 years ago. I have to use the lieu 6-10 times per day. This gets a little old especially while traveling by air or car. Salads and raw veggies give me the most trouble. I am quite active, walking the golf course twice a week and doing aerobic and gym workout three times. I eat a little of everything. I believe we can eat more food,as it seems it goes right thru us.
Am hoping to find a diet that would cut down visits to the lieu. Ah,yes I do drink 3-6. Beers daily. Have abstained for a few days but it does not change lieu visits. I also use a pad under mattress cover to take care of slight "accidents" every couple of months. Otherwise I am in excellent health for a man of 72. Hope for another active 20 years.