I have a 38 year old developmentally handicapped son who had emergency abdominal surgery due to Fournier's Gangrene last August which resulted in a temporary transverse colostomy in order to give his rectal area a change to heal. There was infection around his spincter muscles and that is why the colostomy was done. We are now contemplating have this reversed. The surgeon says that his spincter muscles are working but not as good as they should and she is afraid she may render him incontinent if she reverses it and he will be unhappy but he cannot be more unhappy than he is right now.His transverse is in a terrible place and we encounter a lot of flange changes as it doesn't stick even with paste, etc. and is bowel is prolapsed which is very upsetting to him. Another option is to move it down lower in his abdomen but we are considering having it reversed and seeing if he can control his muscles. We are believing that we have to try.  Are there others out there with the same issue of weak spincter muscles who have opted for a reversal?.

Hi Biddydi,

Since the surgeon has concerns, and I understand your concerns, I'd suggest you seek a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion. 
I do think that in the long run, he'd be much better off with the reversal, if it works.

Get another opinion.

Good luck.

Hi medic-dan:

I have thought of getting a second opinion. How do I go about getting it. Do I just tell my surgeon I want a second opinion? Also, we have been thinking a reversal and then if it doesn't work another operation for a new stoma lower in his abdomen which our surgeon said we could certainly do.

I'd let the surgeon know you'd like a second opinion. They may or may not offer the name of another doctor.

I'm glad your current surgeon has other "options" in mind. While the reversal would be the best, relocating may be another option.

Ultimately, an evaluation is needed by any surgeon before they can offer treatment.

Good luck.

Thank you medic-dan. I will post how I make out next week.
I am hoping someone else may see my post and have gone through the same thing. Fingers crossed.

hi yes i had a colostomy for eight months i had alot of trouble too making it stick but it had to be done in order to heal i understand hes uncomfortable maybe you can ask the dr about making it more comfortable for him i wish u luck and im praying for u and ur son god bless u 

Debra: I assume you had a reversal?
Did you have weak spiincter muscles at the time of reversal?
The surgeon has provided us with 3 options and one is leaving it where it is which is no option at all. The other 2 were a reversal or a re-siting of the stoma lower down in his abdomen.