I’m diagnosed with colon cancer and am facing colostomy bag- can’t imagine it! I want to know if this colostomy bag is avoidable and how am I suppose to live carrying the colostomy bag around? And what the colostomy is?

This colostomy bag is actually called colostomy pouch and I experienced it also. I know how you must be feeling about this colostomy bag but for me it just happened to be a temporary experience. If while surgery turns out that your rectum or just part of it needs to be removed than it’s more likely you’ll have colostomy done. So colostomy may be temporary or permanent and you better find the way to cope with it but usually colostomy is reversal. I think that only cases in which the colostomy is permanent is when entire lower colon and rectum are removed. Colonoscopy is procedure that is performed in cases such as rectal cancer and perineal injuries, colon inflammations or traumatic injuries. Whatever the reason for colostomy is you will be undergoing opening of abdomen through which the end of a colon is attached to the stoma outside the abdomen. The stoma actually is the colostomy bag that serves for collecting the stools. As for the recovery period after surgery is performed I find it really harsh and exhausting for getting my strength back. I needed a months to get rid of that sensation of constant fatigue. And watch out to prevent yourself from the possible infections of your colostomy opening, there’re many products that offers colostomy care anyway you’ll be taught how to take care of your stoma before you get discharged from the hospital.