I am a US citizen living in Costa Rica the last 10 years. I had my second child on Nov. 28th at age 40. It was a difficult birth and the wall between my anus and vagina was torn 10 cm. They had to do emergency surgery to repair the wall and also did a colostomy in order to prevent infections to the repaired wall. 

The stoma education provided in a third world country is lacking in every way possible. If it wasn't for the internet I wouldn't have survived the first difficult weeks. Eventually I was able to live a pretty normal life, even with a colostomy bag. 

It is six months later, and I am scheduled for my colostomy reversal in two days. I have started a clear liquid diet. What can I expect? Is it a painful recovery? How soon will I have a bowel movement?  

I am so nervous. I want everything to go well. I have two small children who need me. 

Thank you

i just had my reversal a little over 2 weeks ago and I'd have to say its been the greatest thing ever. Fairly no pain, my bowels are functioning well. I'm goin more frequently but definitely much better then it was before when I had ulcerative colitis. I know this is a lil late but I hope it brings encoragement to you knowing that there's others out here with the same condition. I hope your recovery has been as good as mine and good luck in the future.

colostomy free and lovin it!

New Member
1 post

To the original poster - I'm curious what happened in your case because I am in a VERY similar situation. I am also a US Citizen living in Costa Rica and I'm about to have a colostomy reversal at a Caja hospital and to be honest I'm more than a little nervous. I've had the colostomy for 3 and a half years. Did you have the reversal? Did you have it in Costa Rica? Private hospital or Caja? I would love to hear from you. I hope you are well!

_removed_