I just had a surgical abortion 2 days ago and they gave me doxycycline tablets to take for 10 days with a meal. The label says "Take twice daily. For best results do not take with antacids or iron"...I had 1 yesterday when I got up with my usual breakfast cereal (that I just realized today contains iron), a banana and coffee (with milk) and the 2nd tablet later with two slices of pizza and pepsi. Today I found out that you're not supposed to take doxycycline with iron, calcium, antacids, dairy products, or laxatives within 2 hours before or after. Really confused here cause almost everything I eat has some amount of iron or calcium in it. Does it mean supplements or any food containing these with decrease the effect of the doxycycline? What kind of foods are okay to eat with it? Scared about getting an infection :-(

I've been on Doxycycline and ate pretty much the same as if it was nothing and it worked just like it should. These warnings are, as you suspected yourself, for large doses of iron or calcium, such as the ones found in supplements. The food you described just doesn't have enough of these substances to seriously lower the effectiveness of the antibiotic. And there is no food that is completely free of nutrients - it wouldn't be food otherwise. And the warning about laxatives - it's just common sense: antibiotics tend to cause mild diarrhea, but even if that is not the case taking laxatives would make the antibiotic leave your body quicker. But as I remember, it should be taken "on empty stomach", not with meals.

Thanks so much nikols I just wanted to be sure and ask other people that had experiences with doxy :)
I read that it can be taken on an empty stomach or with food for people that get nausea after taking it.

You're welcome. I didn't have problems with nausea when I was taking it and if anyone has messed up stomach  - I do (gastritis, GERD and whatnot all at once). But it also depends on the time when you take it, I always set the timing so hat i definitely wouldn't eat anything (very late at night/ early morning). When it's taken without food it gets better absorption, maybe you can try one capsule and see if you can handle it, but far more important than food is that you take all the pills and in the right time. Wish you the best!