My sister called me a couple of minutes ago telling me that her son (he is 17 years old) is showing some symptoms of heartburn. I didn't ask her for the details, she just told me that they made an appointment with the doctor, so they will wait for results to be sure what is exactly his diagnose. But just for the curiosity, I want to know what causes heartburn and how to get rid of it for good? Is it even possible to get rid of it once for all? I can't ask anyone of my friends because, since I know, no one of them had problems with it. 

Heartburn occurs when stomach acid backs up into the tube that carries food from your mouth to your stomach (esophagus). Normally when you swallow, a band of muscle around the bottom of your esophagus relaxes to allow food and liquid to flow down into your stomach. Then the muscle tightens again.

If the lower esophageal sphincter relaxes abnormally or weakens, stomach acid can flow back up into your esophagus (acid reflux) and cause heartburn. The acid backup may be worse when you're bent over or lying down.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I see. Is this dangerous? Because I have tried to find some information about this as well about this problem and guess what - whatever I found says that it can be cancer. Of course, I didn't believe at this at the beginning, and now your post comes as a relief to me. Now, when I know what is causing it, what she can do to change this? Or what he can do? Is he doing something wrong? Are the medicines really necessary in this thing? So, whatever you know, please inform me because my sis and her husband are crazy about this whole situation and I want to try to calm them down a little bit.

Hello. I think that you do know what is causing it. Usually, some things that are around us, but in the most of the cases, we do cause it alone. Of course, it is a great thing that you can treat it at home, without doctors help, if the situation didn't go that far. There are several ways on how to get rid of heartburn fast: drink baking soda, drink aloe vera juice, chewing gum can help a lot, watch what you eat, get more acid, eat apples, eat bananas. Those all are the tips that can help this kid in fighting this problem. 

Celebrity

People would be really surprised when they figure out how many medications are out there for this issue. It is nothing complicated, tnx God! Sure, acid reflux can be extremely painful and according to statistics, this problem affects more than 50% of the population. For example, you can tell him to eat raw almonds as well. Why? Because they are an alkaline-producing food that can balance your pH. Also, they are a really amazing source of calcium and calcium really can help you in dealing with similar problems. Also, everything that contains calcium can help him a lot. It is definitely worth of trying. 

If I may suggest one thing - don't run away from supplements if you don't see any changes when you are treating it alone. You can tell them that their son can use a enzymes supplements, but they also can be founded in certain groceries. But you should be aware of one thing - the food that you are cooking food over 116° Fahrenheit will destroy the health-promoting enzymes. They will "live" in the food if you are a fan of raw food. And I really think that this kid won't eat raw food, at least, that is my way of thining. Anyway, there are many good enzyme supplements available and they should aks a doctor to recommend some of those.

Raw, but organic, apple cider vinegar is also a great idea. It definitely can help and don't be skeptical because it contains acid. It is perfectly safe and fine for this problem. So, I would definitely recommend taking one of the tablespoons of raw organic apple cider vinegar. You should mix it in with warm water and drink it before each meal. This will help calm the stomach and supports digestion. This boy can handle drinking this for sure. It is maybe ugly, but it is helpful. I was drinking it and it really takes a time for you to get used to this. 

I think that you can't get rid of it for good if you are prone to have this issue. But sure that you can soothe it. Those are some of the ways and I can guarantee that those are really effective. For example, that boy can take soda bicarbonate wherever he goes. Enzyme supplements are also good, but he doesn't need to use it unless the doctor told him to do that. Also, he can always start his day with lemon juice in the warm water. If he drinks this on the empty stomach a half of hour before the first meal, he will feel relaxation very soon, almost he won't feel a thing after the meal. It is all about a natural balance that you can achieve easily and naturally.

I am aware that people find it really hard to find a slippery elm as well, and that is not that hard at all. Today, I went to the pharmacy store and I found it. In capsule. So, they can find it as well. I think that there is no need for doctor prescription to take those pills and I believe that they are perfectly safe. So, taking this herbal supplement can help a lot. It will help to soothe the irritated tissues of the digestive tract. Also, he can take this medicine with him no matter where he is.