Is anyone anemic? What do you find makes you more anemic (higher mileage, more stress, poor diet?) and what do you do to help it? (More supplements? rest?)

I'm not; but, it is more prevalent in women. From what I know it is usually tracked back to diet and a lot of women's aversion to red meat which supplies a good portion of iron.

Men sometimes have the opposite problem; and, a good way to help is donating blood.

I'm borderline anemic, not so bad that I have to take supplements, which really should be reserved for dramatic deficiencies. I usually get kicked out of about every other blood drive, depending on how much I'm training. I do know that higher mileage and/or lots of cross training always make mine lower, and the short answer is that the impact of running destroys red blood cells and thus causes a shortage in the hemoglobin in your blood--at least that's what my one sports med doc told me.

Definitely try to increase your intake of iron-rich foods, and remember that heme iron, the kind found in lean meats, poultry and fish, is better absorbed than plant iron, so don't rely strictly on plant sources to get it. Other good sources are eggs, beans, iron-fortified breads and cereals, pumpkin, and raisins and dried prunes, as well as cooked green leafy veggies. Try to include a source of vitamin C, like orange juice, when ingesting iron-rich foods, as it helps the absorption rate. Don't take your iron, either food or a multi vite with iron, with calcium in any form (including supplements & antacids) or tea, which contains tannic acid, as these substances interfere with the absorption of iron.

Can you tell I work with the Red Cross? ;)

I have had problems in the past especially after my pregnancies when I tried to get back to hard training.

And although I have taken supplements in the past, I know my body well enough now that I make sure I bulk up on iron enriched food when I'm training hard to avoid the drop.