Hello. I'm 24 year old female and I would like to find out about possibility that I have maybe developed some kind of iron allergy.
For almost all my life I'm suffering from some kind of Iron deficiency anaemia. I have never talked with some doctor over this because I though it isn’t anything serious. But these last couple of months I started to look pale as never before and feel almost constant tiredness. So, I have contacted my doctor which prescribed me some iron supplements pills. After taking these gel capsules for three days I have developed a really itchy rash around my neck and hairline and I was just wondering could it be that I'm allergic to iron!?

Hello. I just want to tell you that you are definitely not alone with this problem because I have developed the same thing like you.
About three months ago I was also using some iron supplements for my anemia and almost the same day I have developed really strong rash all around my body and felt really bad.
I have contacted my doctor almost immediately over this because it looked really bad. He told me that the only thing he could do is to stop prescribing me this pills and recommended me some Venofer iron sucrose injection. It is used to replenish body iron stores in patients with iron deficiency on regular hemodialysis and receiving epoetin. This way I should avoid these terrible allergy-like symptoms. And it really helped me!

I'm 24 years old and i have iron allergies, i can eat foods that contain iron.
does anyone know of a specialist for this allergy.
thanks

_[removed]_

I would say to you all that you should seek medical advice immediately as iron allergies are symptomatic of some serious blood disorders.

I am a 21 year old female and have the same problem, I have tried taking several kinds of iron supplements and with each of them I end up with a burn like rash all over my face, neck, shoulders and in my hair. I cant even eat foods that have more than 5% iron in them or I brake out. It is good to know that I am not the only one out there that has a problem with this.

No matter what kind of supplement I take with iron, I react with hives. SEE A DOCTOR! After working with an allergist, then you can test to see if you can take it naturally, thru beans, broccoli, etc.

My grandmother has severe iron allergies. She has iron deficiency anemia and cannot take any oral iron pills (she's tried all the docter has given her, none work) She sometimes has a rash, but the worst part for her is that she has shooting pains all over her body.. from the chest to the head down to her lower spine. She's tried some intramaneous iron therapy, but has to have steroids and benedryl with it or she'll have a really bad iron reaction. The last time she was trying to take the vain-supplimant, she started to have another reaction even with the steroids and allergy medicine... so they had to stop, is there any other option for her? She even has some reaction to high-iron foods.

I am 26 years old, and was diagnosed with iron defeciency anemia when I was 22. I'm sure I have had it for years before that. On that initial diagnosis, I went through several different types of iron pills to help build my iron. No matter what type, I experienced intense pain in my muscles and joints. So, for the past 3 years, I have focused on eating a diet with more iron. This seemed to help, until recently. I have started to experience heart problems- a slight murmur, rapid heart rate, PAC's and PVC's. The doctor thinks my prolonged iron deficiency may be the root of the problem, so he prescribed me 200mg of "ez" iron. I have taken it for 4 days, and on the 5th day, I could hardly walk because of muscle and joint pain. So, I left it off for a day, and then took it again yesterday, and today, I have pain in places I didn't even know I could hurt. My doctor advised me to not take any other medication- antihistimines or even tylenol, because it could cause my heart problems to get worse. I told him before he gave me the iron pill what my reaction was in the past, and he said the only alternative would be IV iron. To me, that is just torture. There has to be a better alternative. Both my general doctor and my OBGYN advised me not to try for children due to my anemia. This has taken over my life. Any suggestions for help would be great. I'm not sure if the others on here have been diagnosed the same way, but the doctors claim the cause of my anemia is excessively heavy periods.
Both my mother, aunt, and Grandmother had low iron until they had their children and had everything taken care of to not have more children. However, the doctor argues that my condition is NOT hereditary. My mother had the same reactions to iron that I do.

zaraahmad wrote:

Guest wrote:

I am a 35 year old female and have the same problem, I have tried taking several kinds of iron supplements and with each of them I end up with a burn like rash all over my face, neck, shoulders and in my hair. I cant even eat foods that have more than 2% iron in them or I brake out. It is good to know that I am not the only one out there that has a problem with this. i want to tell that 3 years ago i treated by steroid injection named[fermathron].after that i am suffring this problem.now if i take food that contain iron ,first of all my mouth become infected after that i feel breathing problem and last there is become fat in my stool.i am also loosing weaight.pls if some one knows docter inform me .

I am a 41 year old female.  I have always "tired" and always thought I loved to sleep.  However, this has become an issue that truly effects my life.   I recently had a health screening at work where I was advised I had low hemoglobin (10) and a low iron count.  I began taking an iron supplement, Feosol, as it was recommented by my doctor to take twice a day.  About a week after taking the supplement, I became very ill....diahrea, stomach pains with vomitting and then my hands and feet started itch and before I knew it I had hives all over my body and my face looked like I sat in the sun for days.  Initially I didn't connect the newly introduced iron supplement and what was my usual diet.  I thought it was a fluke...but tried to ween out items that may be the cause of what I thougth was an isolated allergic reaction.  I then couldn't take my sluggishness and constant dsire to sleep so I started the iron supplement again.  once again...about a week into taking the supplement I had a terrible reaction, diahrea, vomitting, rash, etc.  As I read the blog above I also realize I have a red like scalp.  Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?  Help!!!

Iron is POISON!

Supplements were removed from the shelves about 30 years ago as it is related to many illnesses, including heart attacks and strokes.

Be sure you have iron defficiency...this is **NOT*** the same as low haemoglobin! Heamoglobin is made from iron, B12, Vit C L-isileucine and a few other components that I cannot remember off-hand. Your dctor may believe that haemoglobin and Iron are the same thing.

DOCTORS ARE NOT TRAINED IN NUTRITION !!!!!!!

I am aware of this due to much research about 20 years ago when my wife had severe low haemoglobin anemia problems. The doctor wanted her in the hospital and couldn't believe she could stand up. She was anemic most of her life and suffered through various doctors prescribing iron supplement poisons repeatedly only to make her really sick, each time. This time she was prescribed four shots in the hip a month apart only to have that side of her body bruise up black and blue. I got her on some Vit C and for three to four years after if she stopped taking the vit C she bruised again from her knee to her mid side!

Researching it in the library, at that time, I found out it took more than just iron to make haemoglobin. We discussed this with our doctor about B12 pernicious anemia and his, like most other doctors, said "it wasn't possible as it was so rare!". As I discovered later doctors have less nutritional training than my car mechanic so we went ahead and supplemented her with my plan. B12 and L-Isoleucine, one of the BCAA amino acids, usually found as a combo only, for body builders. After a few months she felt much better and her haemoglobin is back to normal, including 30 years later. She also had a hysterectomy, after, to reduce further problems.

A1C Testing

--------------

Another thing to watch for is the A1C glucose blood test. This is a test that uses the life span of your haemoglobin, being coated with blood sugars to indicate you have a diabetic/blood sugar problem. If you have a weird haemoblobin metabolism, this test is probably a nonsense indicator for you. As a result of this my wife has been diagnosed as diabetic, sent to nutritionalists, further tested and deemed a high risk patient for chloresterol medications. ALL a bunch of  c**p to sell medication!. Further glucose ingestion testing with two different doctors over 25 years or time, and regular self-testing  has shown it false every time.

Know your stuff and stop being a victim!

Im a 27yr old female and i cant take iron pills, I end up trowing them up and i continues for the hole day can eat foods that have iron but no supplements. Doctor game me an iron infusion because my iron levels was  dangerously low, was sick for 4 days.

I'm 26 a month early and was born anemic. Doctors were giving me liquid iron. My mom said that I did fine with it. But when I turned a year she said that it was giving me a rash so she stopped giving me liquid iron. Doctors had her feed me foods that have a lot of iron in them and I did great. My whole life I've been anemic. In my teens a doctor wanted to try me on pill form. I had to stop taking them because I would get super dizzy where my mom would have to pick me up from school after only an hour of being there. And I would get really bad headaches. Since then I haven't taken any liquid or pills for iron. I just eat foods with lots of iron in them and I'm not anemic. I still need to be check every month to see what level I'm at. I've been at 12(since november 2010) which is the highest level. In 2 months I went from a 10 to a 7 which is boarder line for a blood transfusion. I was having problems with stopping my periods so I bled off and on for 9 months because the docs didn't know what was wrong. One doc finally put me on birth control and it helped.

So eating peanut butter, spinach, beans, and other foods might help out.

Hi... I'm a 39 year old woman... I've been allergic to iron since I was an infant... (I just recently found that out)... A few years ago I started experiencing extreme tiredness and I went to my doctor and explained what I was going through... They did blood work on me and found out that my blood count was very low... My doctor suggested an Iron Infusion, because I didn't want to do a blood transfusion... I went in for the iron infusion and it was the worst pain that I have ever been through in my life... The doctor and the nurses couldn't understand why I was having an reaction since the dose that I was being given was the lowest available... After I left the doctors office and I was on my way home I started having a severe reaction to the medication and I had to be rushed to the hospital because the pain was all over my body and I couldn't breathe... I thought I was the only person with this condition... I notice if I eat any foods with high iron I start having pains all over my body... I try to suffer through it because my blood count is very very very low... I hate having to get blood transfusion so I'm trying to find other alternatives to increase my blood count... Does anyone have any suggestions??? I would really appreciate any help that I can possibly receive... Thanks for sharing your stories...

I am 22 years old and female. As a baby, I had problems drinking milk. Eventually, my dad swapped with an iron-free formula and I had no problems drinking milk. Growing up, I could not drink a lot of milk nor could I take a lot of vitamins. Even now, if I drink milk too often, or take vitamins regularly, it still upsets my stomach. Also, if I eat a lot of meat or some other food high in iron, it upsets my stomach. The pain is unbelievable. I've never really discussed it with a doctor but now I wonder if I might be allergic to iron? My "symptoms" are a lot different from what y'all are describing but I can't think of anything else those things have in common that I could be "allergic" to.