my 17 year old son has been complaining of penis discomfort with a burning/tingling sort of pain for several months. he complains of worsening discomfort after he showers. he is not sexually active so there is not a concern for an STD. he has seen the dr. who did not find an infection but blood tests revealed a high acid count. i had read in a forum that lack of calcium could cause problems in this area. it is possible that he does not get enough calcium. he has so much discomfort that he rarely leaves the house. i am really worried and would like to know what could be causing this problem. he is at the point where he believes he will have this problem always. please help.

It sounds alot like YEAST. Both men & women have alot of yeast microorganisms naturally present in the genital area. You've said it worsens after showering. Sounds pretty probable. The heat & moisture are prime breeding conditions.

He does not have to have a yeast infection to have the burning, itching & tingling. Equally with women. Their can be external inflammation caused by the yeast. I would recommend that he use canesten cream. He may be opposed to this, but it contains an anti-fungal to assist with the yeast. Another preventative measure is to make sure he thoroughly dries his genitals after showering & not to immediately put on underwear. A good idea is to wear loose pants, without underwear (he's at home, no one can see). This allows for air circulation & additional drying. I began doing this myself, after having similar problems (though I don't get yeast infections-I also don't wear panties under my nighties or PJ's anymore when I sleep. This has eliminated the problem). Another good idea is for him to eat some plain yoghurt or take acidophillus/bacillus tablets. These help maintain a natural balance of healthy candida yeast cultures & colon flora/fuana. Yoghurt is a natural yeast reducer.

On the other hand...also factoring in you said the doctor says he has a "high acid" count. I would assume you're referring to "uric acid"? It's questionable that his urine is so strong. If you don't drink enough water, then you can have very concentrated/STRONG urine & I would imagine it would sting. It's surprising the dr. didn't clarify further.

I still think he should try modifying his diet. Drink more WATER, naturally cleanse & flush out the urinary tract, kidney's etc. Also, the yoghurt is a good preventative agent. If the problem persists, then you should seriously consider asking for a referal to a "urologist". A specialist in urinary tract infections/anomalies/conditions etc.

I hope this helps ;-)