I know that many people I know had experienced pain caused by kidney stones. I do not know why, but I have never talked to them about symptoms. I would really like to hear which symptoms for kidney stones are. That is why that would be my first question to you. Secondly, I would like to know if physical exam could help doctor to diagnose kidney stone.

Diagnosis of renal stone disease involves a medical history, physical examination, laboratory evaluation, and specific imaging tests. The physician determines if the patient has a history of kidney stones, documents past medical conditions, and evaluates present symptoms if they indicate some problem. Physical examination may be difficult if the patient is experiencing severe pain and if he or she is unable to remain. Lightly tapping on the kidney region often worsens the pain, which is one of symptoms for kidney stones that might help doctor during physical examination. Fever may indicate a urinary tract infection that requires antibiotics, which any doctor knows. Beside physical examination, it is important to perform and laboratory tests. Those include urinalysis to detect the presence of blood and bacteria in the urine. Some other tests include blood tests for creatinine, BUN and electrolytes, calcium, and a complete blood count. Ultrasound can detect a dilated upper urinary tract and kidney caused by a stone lodged in the urether. Problem with this method is that usually cannot detect small stones, especially those located outside the kidney.