I have had problems with chronic yeast infections in the past, and each new infection gets more resistant to OTC meds. Eventually, however, they all got treated...but this particular problem won't go away!

The symptoms all seem like a classic yeast infection. The usual - burning (especially after eating/urination), itching, a weird odor, discharge that ranges from slightly chunkier than average to pure "cottage cheese". The onset felt the same, too - the only indication of an issue at first was that things were a little drier than usual and didn't "feel right".
I had also done a few stupid things that could contribute to the onset of an infection in the past month - wore a cute but rather tight new pair of shorts, used a new fabric softener that smelled nice, and ate more ice cream than usual.

I have tried everything - Tioconazole (Vagistat), Mioconazole (Monistat), Clotrimazole (Generic, don't know if it has an official brand name) and homeopathic PH- balancing remedies. I have eliminated most sweets and sugars from my diet and am currently eating mostly meat, veggies and pro-biotic yogurt while taking digestive aid PH pills. With each medicinal dose the symptoms lessen, but slowly return over the course of a few days.

I am currently having unprotected sex with my boyfriend (I'm on non-hormonal Birth Control), but while in the relationship have gotten tested recently and have come out as completely free of STDs. He has shown no symptoms either.

Of course the answer is obvious - "See your Gyno ASAP!" but the problem is the closest asap to any of the Gynos in my area is at least two weeks away. I don't want to false medicate and bring up my OTC resistance even more if the problem isn't a yeast infection, but I don't want to have my crotch on fire for weeks either.

What do I do? Is there anything I haven't tried yet? Ruling out STDs, what else could it possibly be and how would I treat/suppress it until being able to see a Gyno?

I apologize for a double post, but didn't see an edit button. I also wanted to add that I don't believe the Birth Control has anything to do with the symptoms.
In fact, one of the reasons I had such chronic infections in the first place was my old, hormonal birth control - in switching to this one, I have only had 2 or 3 infections during the past 1.5 years (which is a record low for me - I used to get them once every month or two!)

I too get thrush every single month infact it was the search for a cure that lead me to this site. I had been treating my problem with OTCmedicines. I read an article in a woman's magazine that suggested you apply probiotic youghurt to your vagina rather than eat it. I thought that this idea was ridiculous but visiting the doctor for the eighth mont in a row seemed less appealing. I dipped a tampon in the youghurt for a while (3mins or so) and then inserted it as normal after three days of doing this three times a day my symptoms were gone. The yoghurt helps your body to keep the numbers of yeast bacteria down, treating yeast infection at home without any chemicals

the only thing i have found to work is inserting boric acid capsules. i insert one at night as soon as i feel like i am going to get one and just repeat a couple more nights, and the symptoms disappear pretty quickly. i just bought pharmaceutical boric acid like at CVS or walgreens and empty capsules from a health food store, and pack my own like a little pharmacist :-)
then you can insert with a tampon or with your fingers, just make sure you put it up there as far as you can and then lay down for a while. it will soak up quickly. the only thing annoying about this is that the next day you will have random leakage all day, so make sure you wear a pad. boy, have i had wild accidents because i didn't know this was going to happen. Excuse my language, but screw diflucan. That doesn't work for me because my body is totally resistant to it. Boric acid all the way! Good LUCK!

Hi. Okay Lets break this down. First, I am sorry for your frustration. Maybe I can help a bit. I am not a doctor. I am a woman with some experience with vaginal disorders, namely yeast and vulvodynia. Now, you said you don't think the pill you are on is the problem. Can I just say that everything you EAT,DRINK and THINK affects your body. Since you eat the pill it is affecting you. I am not suggesting you go off of it we just have to know what we are dealing with in order to get to the root of the problem. Next, you are on the right track with the PH aspect but no pill will correct it alone. You might need to change your diet. If your PH is too acidic your body becomes a perfect breeding ground for infection of many kinds. So these are the foods to avoid: Coffee,soda, alcohol, tea, vinegar, salad dressings, sugar, all fruit including tomatoes, peppers, fried foods, processed foods, artificial foods, molassas, honey, whey (dairy except butter). Here is what you want to eat: 80% of your diet should be veggies (except the ones mentioned above) especially spinach, cucumbers, kale, broccoli, and swiss chard. 20% whole grains and protein. Finally, water is huge. Drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water. But good water PH balanced water like Evian, Jana or Figi. Feel free to ask questions. Laura

i had the same prob when i were pregnant so i stopped eating cheese and i havnt had it since. giv it a try u never know x

Hi - I too have the same problem. While you are waiting for a professional to give you a more permanent solution I suggest using cooling hydrocortisone cream to soothe the burning and itching. It has worked wonders for me and provides great relief. It will not CURE you but will keep you from going mad from the pain/irritation while waiting on treatment at least :-) best of Luck.

Hey.. you should see a doctor if your symptoms continue

What helped me the most when I had a yeast infection was called 'Yeast Infection No More'. It was so great because it's so easy to do.. not mention how cheap it is lol..

I always check out Paula's blog to see what she thinks before buying any products in womens health care -

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Paula actually just posted a review of 'Yeast Infection No More' on her blog so I'll let you check it out for yourself :)

In the future, to prevent yeast infections try to avoid too much sugar and yeast in your diet, avoid wearing too tight pants, avoid scented tampons and antibiotic soaps, eat probiotic yogurt on a somewhat regular basis and always wear cotton underwear. Good luck.

Hi I saw your post and felt some type of reliefs. For years I have been suffering with yeast infections. I feel like whenever i go to the Dr there is always something wrong. I fluctuate between yeast...bv...uti....im.never just ok and I'm starting to become very frustrated because no-one seems to understand. Every Dr treats the symptoms not the cause and they always come back. Is it possible for one cup of coffee to set this off. I also drank wine a lot but have recently stopped because of bladder discomfort. I have his constant restless right feeling right above my pubis. Im just so sick of feeling uncomfortable i dont even know where to start. I'm scared something is wrong with me but I never had a std. Everything came back negative. If you have ever experienced any of these things please share. I feel like I'm alone with all of this
-ciara

I've experienced the exact same thing yeast and utis for over 3 months, my dr. Gave me diflucan which stops the discharge but the discomfort on the outside never went away. I found that taking diflucan once a week for a month didnt cured the yeast only superseded it. throughout that month my vagina was on fire constantIy. It finally got better by diet and diet only, I fasted all day up to 3pm(only water) then i ate fish or chicken free of antibiotics some spinach, avocado, and no bread of aNY kind (wheat, full grain or white) no pasta, basically just protein and a non starchy veggie once or twice a day. No milk product at all, and drank more water and only water no soda or juice. This helped cure me! It took a long time but be patient and slowly you will feel relief. Stick to the diet and dont eat anything else for as long as you can. I did it for a month aND this is what fully cured me. Diet and only diet can bring your body back to balance from my experience. Seems extreme but this worked for me. if this extreme doesnt work pherhaps you have something other than yeast because this diet starves the yeast from resources, so it no longer breeds. Not sure if this will help but it's what I did. If you think this is to dangerous try going to a nutritionist for further advice. I am not a dr. I'm just stating what worked for me. Try this with caution or under a dr. supervision.

I would read the yeast connection - fabulous book. Sounds like it could be candida...

I too am looking for answers as literally anything makes me itch. As for the discomfort in your lower stomach area, I HIGHLY recommend milk thistle for liver support. It has totally saved me... now to cure my horrid infection

I have a yeast infection I took monastad 1 it got worse and then I went to the doctors and he prescribed diflucent and I'm still having a itch down their and my cycle just came on I really don't know what else to do

I can't believe nobody else has mentioned this but your boyfriend could be passing it back to you during unprotected sex. He most likely needs a treatment as well even if he doesn't appear to have any symptoms.

I feel like I could have written this post. I suffered the same for 5years and no Drs or medication could help me. I decided to try a plant based diet that was low in fat.it literally disappeared in less than a week. I really hope you give it a try because I know how much it sucks to not have even the professionals be able to help you. You hit the nail on the head when you said symptom instead of the cause. The cause is a diet high in fat, at least that's what it was for me.