Never had this problem until we moved back from Germany in 1987. All of a sudden, my throat always felt dry, as though I had just inhaled sawdust or something to that effect. This leads to a constant gag feeling. As long as I am chewing gum or candy to lubricate my throat, I am fine. If I go for a short period of time without this, my throat feels extremely dry and I start to gag. Still have my tonsils, but never any mention from the dentist that they look swollen. Have to worn the dentist about my problem. The latex gloves they wear make the condition really bad. Constantly gagging at the dentist. Water doesn't help. Has to be something with a flavor in it. Don't have a clue as to what to have the doctor test for if I were to go that route.

wow, its weird to read someone with the same thing, i've had it for 3 years now, mine started with a throat infection which i had when i last came back to oz from the UK, i also have the constant gag reflex and sore scratchy thoat, i do it a lot when talking or smoking, but for some reason not often when i'm eating! sometimes it happens when i'm sleep (not often) which makes me think that maybe i'm not nuts :-) the most effective treatment i've found so far is strong mints, dont have to such of chew, but if its there slowly melting it seems to help, oh and coffee seems to make it really bad. the best minty type thing so far is fisherman's friends! they rock! clears out everything and is soothing. they are packed with sugar though, so it hasnt been the best thing for my teeth and the sugar free stuff loosens the guts. but its worth it, does the gagging make you vomit too?

guess that you are not the only one who is dealing with it. I had it as well, and I know that my symptom was a lump in throat, so that was causing a dry cough and of course, I needed a proper dry cough treatment.

so, definitely you should see your doctor, but before you do that, try not eating or drinking certain foods that can affect your upper respiratory and sinuses.  Also, you should not eat od rink at least two hours before you go to bed. It helped me so I sincerely hope that this will help you as well. Good luck. 

Hi, I've had the same thing for about 1 year now - I generally gag when I'm on my own and even though I feel like gagging in front of other people (apart from my wife!) I can generally control it. The things I use are mints or chewing gum and tons of water - recently the gum I normally have has been making me gag though so at present just have mints, water and rescue remedy - this seems to soothe the gag reflex as it's quite strong tasting. I have suffered with a Haetus Hernia for about 5 years and always have a dull ache in my stomach and do get heartburn. The Doctor said that it's the acid that makes me gag as it is generally worse in the morning - have also been to a Hypnotist but that didn't work! I do sometimes gag if I'm about to go out or have a meeting so I also think it's alot to do with the mind and something that your body learns to do which is annoying! As I said, the gagging started about 1 year ago when in my last job I was getting loads of pressure - I've since started my own firm and no longer have the pressure I was put under but still have these gagging fits every day. It isn't the end of the world but is very annoying as it is something you keep thinking about and when I think about gagging I gag!!

I had this happen the other day. It started with a scratchy throat and laryngitis. Somehow, my throat got so dry that when I inhaled at one point, the dryness of the air hit my gag reflex, and I started coughing and gagging. I was in public and panicked a bit, thinking I was going to throw up. After that, I couldn't get my gag reflex to calm down. I tried water and hard candy, but for like an hour and a half, I was ridiculously uncomfortable. The feeling was something like having a tongue depressor stuck down on the right side of your throat. Anyway, it happened again that night when I got into bed and turned the air conditioner on - I guess, the air blowing triggered it. So I looked up what dentists do to calm gag reflexes, and the site said a bit of salt on the tongue will work (not clear why, just does) or chloroseptic spray (which is a numbing agent, used to ease the pain of a sore throat). Anyway, I tried the salt first. It did help. Maybe it shrinks your tongue a bit and pulls it back off the reflex. Just hypothesizing. Anyway, it helped enough to allow me to run to the drug store to get choroseptic spray, which helped even more. I also drank a lot of water so my throat wasn't so dry, since this may have predisposed me to the whole bizarre thing. Anyway, in case this is useful, I wanted to post it... Gagging is so awful.

Ugh, same thing has happened with me and is still happening with me! I always gag when I think about it and it's annoying as a basketcow. But the best thing to do is not think about it and you will be fine as a notebook.

Lampp

LOL. Annoying as a basketcow and fine as a notebook? Are you from Mayberry?

you may have a problem with your thyroid. see your gp.

I have something similar. Being a competitive dancer I usually breathe through my mouth while dancing and lately after a dance if I exert myself too much, I get very out of breath and my throat gets so dry that I start to cough and my eyes water. It continues to the point where I am unable to inhale without gagging and coughing. It's extremely painful and scary. I fear before I go on stage that it'll happen and I won't be able to dance. It has stopped me before and it's difficult to calm my gag reflex. Water doesn't really help, I am usually forced to chew gum or eat copious amount of cough candies.

So did this ever stop or did you find something to make it stop? I have had it for going on 5 months and it's driving me crazy!

Thanks

Vick

I'm so glad I found this thread. I thought I was the only person in the world with this problem. I'm being held hostage by my scratchy, dry throat and the gag reflex! On top of losing weight because I'm afraid to eat, I feel like a nut because I have to plan simple daily tasks around "the episodes", which can come every 30 minutes and last about 10 minutes. Thank God I work at home because throwing up at work could be embarrassing. I've been dealing with this since August 2010. The only time I had relief was when I was getting 6 allergy shots a week, which I did from February 2011 until September 2013. Well don't you know "the episodes" returned in February 2014!!! I just started allergy shots again last week so I hope this works. I'm absolutely miserable.

Signed,
Skinny and Miserable in NC

Skinny and Miserable, Your story sounds a lot like my mine. I am also at home now. It is embarrassing to go out, I am always on guard. I keep a large supply of cough drops in my home, car and purse. And, it doesn't matter if I put one in my mouth, once it's started there is no stopping it. I do my best to suck the heck out of the cough drop to get some kind of coating on my throat asap. Water does not help. When it comes on its awful, scratchy, burning on left side of my throat, gagging, red face, eyes watering like crazy, coughing until I almost or actually throw up. I have had this since the beginning of the year. Went through a bad bout of bronchitis and then pneumonia. I do two breathing treatments per day and inhaler. I never had allergies as bad as I have them now. I have told my Dr. and Pulmonary Dr. about these awful bouts I was told to gargle 4 times a day with warm water and salt. It didn't help. It sounds like you are right probably right about the allergy shots, it makes sense. And, for anyone who says you are just thinking about it too much or don't think about it and it will get better. You do not know what you are talking about. I avoid these bouts at all cost.
Miserable in California

What kind of allergy shots were they.
Miserable in California

Hello do still have this problem? please answer.

When I wake up I gag and sometimes it makes me vomit! The dr. Told me it's acid reflux but I don't think so. I think it's because when I wake up with dry mouth as the saliva starts coming back I gag and throw up.