I have had a dry cough for over a week. My ears itch, and so do my lungs and throat. I feel physically fine, with the exception of my symptoms. I would like to know how to treat this, or when it will be over so i can sleep through the night again and NOT wake up coughing. :P

I've had that cough for over a week too and I am trying to figure out what it is. It doesn't happen often but when I get into this "coughing phase" I get this non stop tickle in the back of my throat and my lungs. The cough is very deep and it tastes like metal when I do cough.

Could it be allergies?? Allergies could cause the tickle and as a reflex make you cough... You should check with a specialist to make sure it is allergies before taking any OTC medicine though.

Another possibility is post-nasal drip.... It would explain the mucus from your nose going down into your throat at night and causing the itchy feeling and coughing.... would also explain the itching in you ears... If this is the case, try sleeping with 2 or more pillows and using saline or medicated nasal drops before bed. Also drink lots of water.

Also something as simple as dryness could be causing your symptoms... And that could be easily treated by drinking lots of water, taking hot steamy showers (And breathing the vapors in to "humidify" your lungs and throat), drinking tea with a little bit of honey or lemon juice and using a humidifier in your bedroom.

Do you have any blood coming out when you cough? Because blood tastes like metal, and I'm afraid that you might have that.