I have what I assume to be thick mucus stuck to the back of my throat. It is so bad I times I can barely keep from gagging uncontrollably. It started several months ago and was just bad when I first woke up. It would cause me to gag but I would fight it back and after an hour or so it didn't really bother me. I thought it was caused by my allergies and bad sinus congestion. I was planning on talking to the doctor about it when I had time.  About two weeks ago it got to where it was bothering me all the time. I did some research and thought it was post nasal drip. So I started drinking lots of water and that may have helped some. It got even worse about a week ago and since I had an appointment with my general practicioner I told him about it. He said to take Mucinex to thin my mucus. I started taking mucinex and that might help some. But it got so bad two nights ago I couldn't stop gagging and had to be taken to the emergency room. The doctor there gave me some nasty medicine to numb my throat and some medicine through an iv. This gave me some relief until the next morning. He prescribed a steroid for my allergies and an anti-bacterial medicine. These are giving me some relief but it is still bothering me and gets pretty bad still. Why won't this stuff let loose of my throat and come out? I can breathe and eat without any problems and my throat does not hurt. Has anyone ever heard or experienced any thing like this? I would appreciate any info that might help.

Hi there,

My father has been experiencing the same symptons as yourself, for the past 2 years... It start on an occassional basis then became a daily occurance..  It is getting to the point where he feels he cant breath.  He has been for all sorts of nose/throat tests, everything except allergy.  We too are searching for answers... the dr prescribe anti inflammatory, nasal spra, antibiotics nothing has been working.

If you find an answer please post it. we will keep an eye on this sight.

Donna

I have had this mucus laying at the top of my throat for 2 wks, in the morning and through out the day, when it builds up, I gag. The Dr. sd I have a sinus infection and gave me Amoxcillin 500 mg 3 times a day with mucinex. It's very annoying and I have no appetite.  I was left go from my job in February and was wondering if this could be anxiety related?  

I do have an apt with an ENT next Monday. Spring Break right now.....so hopefully he can scope me to find out the source of this problem.

When I do spit up it is clear white mucus....

If I was working, I would be off sick.....

Hello. I have the exact same problem! I've had it for about 6 years now. Started getting really bad after sinus surgery. Now I had to have sinus surgery again & they had to fix broken nose & deviated septum @ same time, in January 2012, & it has become much worse. Every single day & night I go thru this! Can't sleep, I'm nauseous & sometimes can't eat, & I constantly have a bad taste in mouth & bad breathe even just a minute after brushing & scrubbing & scraping tongue! I'm SO sick of this. IF ANYONE FINDS ANYTHING TO HELP, would appreciate it if you could let me know . Thanking you in advance.

JC Radican

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I am so happy to Finally reply back to someone with a cure!!!! It helped me almost immediately!!! Go to cvs or walgreens and look for Paragone, it has this tincture bottle inside. Put 7-10 drops on your tongue, let it kinda marinate towards the back of your tongue for as long as you can (like 3 minutes is good) and then swallow it. You will be amazed!!! after prayers and more prayers I am so relieved to have an answer.

The Paragone will clear the mucus

I am having the same problem as everyone else who posted here years ago: Phlegm/Mucus stuck in throat causing constent trips to the toilet to spit (have to force it out), gagging (causing me to throw up), and nausea.  I actually lost weight because I can barely eat; because I am swallowing my food with this discussing stuff and then I start gagging, then throwing up. 

I have been doing research, and mostly there are prescribed antibiotics out there that does not seem to be helping people.  I hope someone comes on here this year 2014 with a solution that works.  I really would like to get something over the counter that works because I have not health insurance due to unemployement.

HEELLLLP!!!

Does Paragone really work for the problem? I looked it up and it says it is some kind of bacteria or worm cleanser for the intestines.

I have constant post nasal drip, for many many years, and it is caused from food allergies. The only way to figure that out is by going on an elimination diet.

when u cough dont bring it back down cough wait few seconds and try again this brings it up and out instead of up and down which u never get iut aksi mucinix i take 1200 mg 2 x day i went for check up with puliminary dr, and tought me how to bring it up its a bad feeling if u can do this what i said u will have no problem getting it out.good luck

After 3 years or so of not being on these blogs I thought I'd come back and share my experience. For years in my late 30's to mid 40's I had white tongue and excessive phlegm in the back of my throat. Suffered just like you. I know how awful the feeling is. Tried most of the doctor recommended stuff that you see on blogs. While I'm no doctor, I believe ultimately my issue was I was acidic internally, causing my pH to be way off. Since moving to a much more alkaline diet 3 years ago the progress has been slow and steady to the point today i feel 99% free of that awful feeling I know too well. I believe the meds that doctors recommend might offer some temporary relief, but for a long-term cure it's going to be your diet. If you can focus on alkaline foods vs. acidic foods I believe this will help, but only if you commit and consistently stick to it for a long period of time. No quick fix here. Further, there's no downside to getting on a better diet in any event, so I don't believe there's much risk. Today, my tongue is healthy looking...no white coating on it, and I rarely have the feeling of phlegm in my throat, and if I do, it's very minor compared to where I once was. I hope this helps someone...trouble is I believe this potential "cure" is so hard to measure and it takes time for your body to adjust and heal. Good luck.

Yea everyday it sucks

I am very new to this, I have been suffering with constant mucus and phlegm in the back of my throat now for 1 year, was convinced it was cancer, was so pleased when I realised a great deal of other people have the same thing and that it has a name too. I just want to wake up in the morning without this constant stuff in my throat, the rotten smell and the feeling of gagging, I will try Mucinex and will look to my diet too, thank 58ttom

I've been sick a couple of days now and the same thing happened to me! I'm going to the doctor, though.

this s happening to me it feels like a plasiic peice is stuck in my thought it so thikck an it it wont let me breath eat i try to drink it bye flushing it down with water NOTHEIBNG WORKS IM MISSURABLE