I have had a dry cough with no sore throat for about a month now. I've been to the doctor twice, once told I had bronchitis and given augmentin which did absolutely nothing. Second doctor said it was post nasal drip from a sinus infection and again prescribed antibiotics. Regardless of if I have a sinus infection or not, the cough is killing me. My trachea is raw and just the act of inhaling throws me into coughing spasms that sometime lead to gagging and throwing up. I have not slept more than 4 hours a night for the last month because I constantly cough. I've tried delsym, cough syrup with codiene, hot toddys, throat sprays, elevating my head and nothing helps. Additionally, now I'm having trouble taking deep breaths and my whole rib cage hurts. Can someone please help me????

Your symptoms are similar to mine, Ive been back and forward to the doctors since March of this year.  My throat constantly feels dry and the slightest thing makes me cough, gag and sometimes vomit.  Ive had restless nights every night since March as I constantly need to drink through the night to keep my throat moist as it always feels dry.  I occaisonally have difficulty swallowing and my throat is often sore as a result of all this coughing.  

Ive had a chest x ray (not a throat one though I might add which I thought was strange), had antibiotics, inhalers, also various meds for GERDS and nothing so far has helped.  Ive stressed my worries that it may be cancer as my Mum had lung cancer 3 years ago.  They dont seem to be in any hurry to send me to get the ENT department either but since Ive exhausted every possibility what else should they be doing????

could it be whooping cough? i've head whooping cough has made a come back.

have you gotten any answers!?