I have had a sore throat on and off for the last 2 months with a terrible chesty cough that I just can't seem to kick! I went to my doctor and she gave me some antibiotics to treat a chest infection but they didn't seem to help! lately I have felt increasingly tired. Has anyone else had these types of symptoms and got a diagnosis? please help me out here im so tired of being sick!!!

I don' t know... I found your post while searching for the same answer...

I was sick two weeks ago and the sore throat and hacking, dry cough won't go away. It's a bit disturbing. Someone offer us some insight!?

i know this sounds weird but works for cough...rub VICKS on feet, yes feet, and put soxs on when going to bed ....works wonders

Tried the Vicks thing..didn't work for me. I hope others have better luck.

Also, just wanted to say that I too have had a recurring sore throat and cough for the last 2 months. I get better, then it hits me again and again and again...FRUSTRATING!!!
I found this tread looking for some answers but have not found any yet...and i've been searching for a good 3 hrs now.
I have seen 4 doctors in the last 2 months and have been diagnosed with the common cold, chest infection, asthma, etc. I've taken 2 courses of antibiotics, i'm on an asthma puffer...but I AM STILL GETTING SICK! This will be the 5th time in the last 2 months that I am lying in bed feeling run down with whatever it is I have....and which no doctor has successfully diagnosed.

If anyone out there has an answer...please help us poor, rundown, sore, coughy sufferers.

Thanks!!!

I'm not a doctor, but I have read on other message boards that people should get tested for Mono (blood test) as well as strep for a persistent sore throat and fatigue. Strep rapid test is 95% accurate. The normal strep test is close to 100% but takes a day or two to get results.

hey gang,
Sorry to hear that u guys have been sick on and off for what must seem like forever!!!! >:( like plaprocina mentioned have any of you guys gotten tested for strep or mono?? usually strep presents a little different symptoms and doctors normally look for that. also have you guys had fevers, or chest xrays done? what is your stress levels like and is there anything that you do that seems to agrivate or bring on the sickness?? it could realy be a whole sleu of things and would be almost impossible to diagnose from this site. also if your chest infection is caused by a virus such as the one which causes the common cold (rhinovirus) than antibiotics will do absolutly no go. if it is a bacterial infection than perhaps the the type of antibiotics used are ineffective against what ever is causing the infections. lastly are any of you immun-compramised. (this can be caused by such things such as HIV, Cancer/cancer treatments, age, or being on steroids not just anabolics but mainly ones such as cortizone)

let us know..... and hope you guys can find some relief soon....

i had a really painfull sore throat for a couple weeks and i went to the doctor and they tested me for mono and strep. those came back negative. so i thought maybe just allergies. i have been taking claritin and such. now with my sore throat and horrible cough has played in, along with mucus and weezing, and i have had trouble breathing. and i play a sport so i have to stop and cough, i dont think its asthma. help :/

My daughter has the exact same thing no matter how many water she drinks or yhogurts she eats its still the same :-(

i have been suffering the same thing for almost 3 months now. dry cough and sore spot behind my left tonsil and it went away for a week and now back again and my ear hurts. i was tested for strep when it first started and it was neg. so they gave me cough syrup, which inflames my tonsil even more. my cough is so severe i pinched a nerve in my back. please help. i am going to go back to the doctors again on monday and beg for help. if they find out what it is i will update you all

Sorry to hear that, Jennifer. It appears to be a very nasty virus strain that mutates, which is why it keeps coming back multiple times. It seems to affect mostly the chest, ears, nose, and throat. Try going to see an ENT (ear, nose, and throat specialist) to see if they can offer you anything else to help you manage the discomfort while the virus runs it's course. I went through what you did and I can sympthasize. It was by far the longest lasting virus I ever caught. My wife caught it too. Same thing..about two months to run its course.
I found that Honey Loquat Syrup helped the most for my sore throat and cough. You can find it at health food stores (not sure if you have Whole Foods where you live). Also try using a vaporizer or humidifier for your cough. It seemed to help us sleep during the night. Take care.

thank you...plaprocina

I have had the same thing for months now.  i am a city bus driver and i am exposed to many diseases unfortunateyMONO test Strep test and they have come back negative.  Two co workers of mine have had the same thing with severe symptoms and they too have not had any success with treatment.  I myself have taken antibiotics over and over again and nothing is working.  I have noticed that the best thing to do is treat the symptoms i have bought mucinex for the flem,  i drink lots of hot tea for the sore throat and also keep the A/C and fans off while i am sleeping.  I found a mexican herb store that sells a bronchial tea that helps.  stay hydrated drink pleanty of fluids and make sure to get pleanty of rest.  I believe this is a virus that could be similiar to chronic fatigue syndrome.  I am no expert but it seems like treating the symptoms is the best we can do.  I hope you feel better.

I had the same probelm and found the cause to be high blood pressure medication. Pharmapress. Changed my medication and symptoms are gone/

Could you be allergic to something? Milk allergies can cause congestion and stuff. (I have them)

You should take her off of dairy and see if that helps.