I get mucus in my throat makes me gag a lot this happens all day long, I continously drink water to come it down, I've taken all kinds of medication that the doctor has prescribed but no luck he tell me it's allergies that I need to see a allergy specialist to pin point the problem, he also gave some atihistamines and my throat got so dry it made things worst, not only gaging now but I felt like something was stretching the inside of my throat that not even any liquids would help,I finally left him and am lookinf for a new Doctor. I've lived in this part of the world all my life, I don't beleive it's allergies.

It actually doesn’t matter if you’ve lived at the same place whole life long or not as allergies could be developed at any stage of your life. You can just have carried this code all your life up to now when there was something that triggered allergies to occur. Therefore, you should do some tests to determine what is causing you allergies, but as it’s spring time and there is much pollen around, I guess it could be the reason.
Anyways, the excessive mucus in the back of your throat together with a runny nose and sore throat are certainly the symptoms of the allergy. Do you have them all? Well, antihistamines should have helped you a bit but I just don’t know why they didn’t. Have you tried gargling the salty water or using some nasal sprays or something.
In case you have just this mucus in the back of the throat, it could also be the sign of the sinusitis, which is not allergic even though it very much reminds us of real allergies as the symptoms are similar.
Anyhow, you can do the x-rays of your sinuses so that you can be sure whether it’s sinusitis or the proper allergy.

I have mucus on my throat. I need to know what type of food i can eat to clear it

A search of my own brought me to your entry. I have been suffering with symptoms which include what you describe. I have a gut feeling about something here - and this will be the first time I will have replied to any web entry...ever.

Particularly because you mention also that you have just concieved, and that the allergy assumption does not seem appropriate in your case (that your environment has not changed all of your life) I'd like to suggest you loook into something called Candidiasis (more often referred to as Candida) - esophageal Candidiasis is one of my issues. All of my issues relate to Candida, as it turns out. I also have never had an allergy in my life. Several factors will contribute to this disorder, which can become incredibly complex when gone untreated. I believe, and several practitioners now believe, that had I discovered the source of various symptoms (one of my early symptoms involved my throat and habitiual gagging on everything, sometimes on nothing...but always involved some strange mucus that did not seem to present itself anywhere else...i.e. no allergy like symptoms, no runny nose or sore throat...just mucus, gagging, swallowing difficulty, breathing difficulty, etc.)

The issues I deal with at this time are dramatically more severe and life threatening - but completely related to a Candida overgrowth. I have been prescribed anti-fungal medication, but some very great things are also available homeopathically (wild oregano oil, olive leaf extract, garlic, caprylic acid, grapefruit seed extract, taheebo tea (pau darco) I'm sure I am forgetting something - a long list of natural antifungals. Please look into this. Many physicians are skeptics, but I think even your OBGYN might be interested in this if you really begin to develop symptoms related to an imbalanced flora. (Pregnancy can stimulate this, as will antibiotic use, sugar, stress, sulfa drugs, steriod drugs, lots of stuff - but specific stuff.

I believe allergy is not completely off, however. They are known as hidden allergies - but they are really allergy like symptome, temporary "sensitivities" to foods and/or environmental toxins (which were previously not harmful to you). It's somewhat complicated, but incredibly fascinating.

Good luck to you. Look into fungal infections of any kind. Your flora, your "body ecology". The funcional medicine field as well as the natural health community understand this issue very well. Have faith that you can bring your health back - because you absolutely can and will...one way or another.

hi, i have had the same problem for years and no doctor could help, tons of mucus on a daily basis and no real reason, what have other people done about this?

by southerncaliforniarealestateagent

I get mucus in my throat makes me gag a lot this happens all day long...
*I get the SAME thing!* I'm 12 weeks preg. It sucks... My dr says your body just produces more than usual mucus while preg! But drinking warm decaff tea, or eating hard candies, or popcycles helps "a lot". Try it, because I know water does not help me at all. ~ Funny huh?~

Reply to: I get mucus in my throat makes me gag a lot this happens all day long...

*I get the SAME thing!* But I'm 12 weeks preg. It sucks... My dr says your body just produces more than usual mucus while preg! But drinking warm decaff tea, or eating hard candies, or popcycles helps "a lot". Try it, because I know water does not help me at all. ~Funny~

I have the same thing!!! I am desperate for something to help! I have had thick mucus in the back of my throat ever since last October....so, it's been a year now. It started when I was about 3 months pregnant and has not gone away even after I had the baby. What is going on? I do know that I have allergies and I have been on every thing.....Allegra, Zyrtec, Claritan and just about all of the nasal sprays.....Rhiocort, Nasonex, Flonase, Astelin, the list goes on and on. I also use a saline rinse to irrigate my sinuses every day. I am currently taking allergy shots, but NOTHING is giving me any relief. My symptoms are worse at night and no matter how much I try to spit the stuff up, I can't seem to get much out and it's always there, leaving a funny taste in my mouth when I eat or drink something. It's like when you are sick and you have to spit the mucus out, but no matter how much I spit, I can't get the lump of mucus out of my throat. It's hard to lay down and sleep at night, because it seems to get thicker at night. I sneeze a lot, but I do not have a constant cough. I have been to two ENT's and am under the care of an Allergist right now....but it's been a year and I just can't take it any longer! Any advice? Thanks!

I have same problem mucus in throat been long time ( 9 years ) first started felt little mucus but getting worse day by day. I've done my allergy test used all kind of medication nothing helped . I've stopped dairy products and oily stuff long time ago.I am on good diet but still problem getting worse.I've been to 5 ENT no one found the root of it. it's been long time now and can't take it longer, Any advice?

I am now 12 weeks pregnant and have had thick mucus for about a week. I have had it before, and it has gone away, but since I'm pregnant, I don't know what I can take to help. I also have a runny nose, and sneeze a little. I can't seem to get the stuff out no matter how much I try. I am constantly swallowing (Ithink it is a reflex to the mucus) which in turn causes me to swallow air, which in turn causes my stomach to hurt and eventually I have uncomfortable gas (which is added onto my already gassy pregant self). I am soooo uncomfortable. Can anyone help????? %-) %-)

I have been dealing with this same problem on and off for 15 years. Wake up in the morning and gagging on mucus. It has cause so much stress I started having painattacks. I feel like I am gonna sufficate on mucus. I have tried everything. NO luck, I have read every message board on the internet and havent found nothing. This is affecting my overall health, I feel tired, stress and not in control. I am clueless. If anyone knows anything that has worked, please post it!

I can't believe I just found this post. I like all of you have constant mucus running down my throat. It has been about 8 years now. It first started just a little. I then went to a EN&T doctor. He did surgery in the hospital -- called shrinking of the turbinites (sp?). It did not help at all. After two years of trying every medicine possible out there. I just decided to live with it. But in the back of my mind I am always hopeful there will be something new. I will keep checking these posts as I always felt I was the only one with this strange problem. Now I feel so much better knowing that I am not alone.

I'm having the same issue, although I'm a man and deff not pregnant.
Have had it a long time but this last year its getting worse, always clearing my throat, trying to get rid of it and its making
me and others crazy.
Its like having a cold, but without the other symptoms.
My girlfriend says its all in my head, but its not, I can feel it back there,
when I clear my throat I can feel it move. Have had very little gagging,
but if, then only in the mornings.

Its driving me and my girlfriend crazy :-(

I have never had allergies - but beginning in November, whenever I try to go to sleep lying down, I feel and hear an irritating "gurgle" in my throat, I think below the level of my voicebox. I have very little nasal congestion and no cough. But at night I cough and clear all night long just to eliminate the mucus from my throat. I've tried expectorants and decongestants - and of course the family doctor visit. He suggested going to a pulmonary specialist but I've put this off as yet. Is anyone else "gurgling" out there?

Im truly hopeful that someone wiser or one who had experienced same problem would offer some help here on this forum.

I have had it for 2 years after severe Angina. Symptoms match 90% of what everyone else have here(except pregnancy... am a guy). I'd also like to add as I work with computers a lot, I feel strange stress behind eyes, its like the mucus is making pressure, tiring them. Once there, it takes a day to recover. It is interesting since it either affects the eyes, the nose or the throat and mostly not all 3. I can wake up coughing nothing if my eyes hurt, or spit for a hour if problem with my nose or throat.

For me greatest help has been saltine gargling ( + i let it through nose with syringe ) and GIGNER, usually in tea. When I drink ginger, particular infected spot gets a warm tingling feeling and after that its relief for a long time. With a few rutines as such there are days when I rarely have to spit at all, yet some days are worse than others and it always comes back... I am pretty much desperate.

What makes worse
- Sugar/sweets and dairy products.

Thank you!