Guest wrote:

First of all, I'm a 22 year old female. For about the last 5 or 6 days I've had a feeling in my throat (upper left, in the back, just behind the uvula is what it feels like). It's getting on my nerves. It feels like there's a piece of food there or that I half-swallowed a hair or something. It doesn't hurt at all, but it feels like if I'm not careful I'll inhale it (which isn't physically possible, but it's in that location). I have no fever, no swollen glands, and there's nothing visually amiss based on my inspection with a flashlight in front of the mirror.

I'm having almost the exact same problem as this girl. Except, I have to constantly clear my throat or cough. It doesn't effect me much if I'm sitting down or standing. When it's really bothersome is when I'm lying down. I'm constantly coughing trying to clear whatever it is there in my throat. Lately it's been getting worse and it's becoming impossible to sleep, because of the cough. I don't feel sick at all, no fever, no sore throat, just that feeling in the back of my throat & this horrible cough. When I'm coughing it's as if I'm attempting to cough whatever is stuck out. But to no avail, there's nothing there.

Anyone know what the problem may be?

I'm having the same thing. It started about six weeks ago and today it feels worse. It's not that bad, I'm just constantly swallowing and feeling like what ever it is hasn't gone away. No coughing for me, just swallowing.

I have the same symptoms - not the coughing, but constantly feeling like there is something in my throat that I need to swallow. It started about six weeks ago and is now starting to get worse. It's not painful at all, just annoying!

my symptons are painful because after a while the cough starts to irritate me.. and each time I cough my head will hurt as if someone is squeezing the front part of my brain. I can resist the cough, but my eyes will get watery, as if I need to cough something out.. But no matter how hard I cough nothing comes out.. I've even looked and felt down my throat to see if anything was stuck in there.. and nope =/

Also, if it helps any.. I realized when I'm laying down, my nose eventually gets stuffy.. and if I cough hard enough Phlegm or something like it will come up. The wierd thing is, that only happens when I'm laying down.. If I'm sitting up it's just an annoying cough.

hmm this is weird as I'm having the same symptoms. I went to the doctor 10 days ago and he said it was pneumonia. But after 10 days of medication I'm still ill and coughing up brown mucus and now have diarhea to add to the list. Last night I was up from 2 am - 4 am coughing to the point of a headache. It seams the only thing the meds cured is that my chest dosn't hurt so much.

I'm gonna be going to the doctor again =(

Hey, same things been happening to me aswell, I went to the docter and he said it was Bronchitis... Iv been on the medication for a few days and I still feel the same(this was a walk in clinic so I dont trust the doc). You guys said you felt in your throat and couldnt feel anything, well I tried it aswell and didnt think I felt anything until I noticed in the back of my mouthe behind me back teeth it seemed like something in my mouthe back ther has swollen up on the one side. Btw it felt like it was on that side that w.e it was was stuck, but I think it might have somthing to do with that. I cant get to the doctor because of transportation I hope someone here can clear this up.

constant coughing or clearing throat can be signs of allergies. (food allergies) so, does it occur more after you eat certain things? I was diagnosed with a mild wheat allergy, and taking that out of my diet did wonders. We took it out for a couple months and gradually brought it back in and it really made the difference.

I have a 4 year old that has coughed for two years. Off and on, but constant. She has been to the children hospital several times. She has been to the ER. She has had a brochoscopy, ent scope up the nose, echo, blood work, treatment for asthma, GERD (with negative upper GI) etc. I just want to give her some relief. She has had all the meds OTC and prescription. Sometimes she seems better and just coughs a few times a day, other times she can't catch her breath for coughing, can't sleep for coughing, can't talk or sing or run and play, for coughing..... It is very hard to see her suffer like this. Her cough actually gets so violent she will throw up. Anyone with any suggestions at this point, I am willing to listen. I am taking her back to ENT next week to look at the tonsils. We'll see what happens. Thanks! Erin

I have the same symptoms, just that I cannot swallow, eat, and my throat is VERY gritty, I have no idea what it is and need some answers.

Most likely post nasal drip caused by allergies or change in weather conditions. Drink lots of water daily and utilize nasal drops to thin out the mucus. I get this all the time. It will feel solid...but trust me it's not...it's just mucus running down the back of your throat

All these things can be describing many different lung related infections. To the lady with the four year old who's daughter has routinely developed coughing fits lasting weeks or months over the course of the years, this describes Chronic Bronchitis: and can be caused by cigarette smoking, exposure to cigarette smoke, Pnuemoconiosis and long time exposure to smoke for long periods of time; camp fire, fire pits, car exhaust, inhaling black smoke(rubber or trash). Treatments for this lung pathogen include smoking cessation, and doses of amoxicillan or doxycycline.

Now for all those people above whose symptoms I can relate to, it sounds like what you are describing is Pneumonia and or a late on set of Chronic Whooping Caugh, Each one of these infectious disorders can be derived in any number of ways. If your are constantly around young children or babies, whooping Caugh, a disease usually vaccinated early on in a child's life, you have a high likely hood of attracting this infectious disease. Pneumonia which can feel like a constant fluid in the lungs or a tickle in the back of the throat, that constantly makes one feel as if they need to caugh something up or just caugh. There are many variations of Pneumonia and can be varied in symptoms, lower lung Pneumonia can cause caughing and sever stomach pain, while upper lung Pneumonia can cause what has been previously described. All of these can be contracted from each other, Bronchitis, and Pneumonia and whooping caugh can all lead to each other and can all be caused by the same prolonged exposures SMOKE;, cigarettes, car exhaust, fire pits that are burning rubber or trash, camp fire smoke, burning leaves near your person and high pollen levels, these can all irritate your respiratory system and cause infection.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

i have what sounds a similar problem, very annoying sore throat, swollen neck annoying cough, always clearing my throat and some times acid refluxes. had the problem since before Xmas(december 2009) and now it end of april 2010, seen a doc few times and even ended up in A+E..but they dont seem to be all that bothered..and its very depressing :-( i really want to find out what it is, so i can sort it out. Its making me miserable

nck wrote:

I feel as if there is something in my throat and then the urgency to swallow. I know this sounds awful, but I have to spit phlegm into a cup at night when I lay down. Then the urgency to swallow. It's annoying and I can't sleep. Anxiety follows and I get up.

anonymous wrote:

,
Erin, my son had same symptoms at that age. It took Mayo clinic to find out what it was: R.O.A.D. Asthma (reversable obstructive airway disease) very treatable with a pediatric inhaler, it worked! And, just like they said, he grew out of it by the time he was 13. Keep fighting til they listen and find the answer for your son.