In September 2009, I had my third surgery. The first two, the doctor went through the front of my neck. However, this third surgery, he went through the back. He did mention that the pain would be greater because of the nerves and muscles in that area. But I am still experiencing a piercing stabbing sensation between my shoulder blades and in the back of my neck. Is this normal? Will it eventually cease? Could this be caused by some type of nerve damage? Thank in advance for any advice. Happy New Year!!

Hàve you researched to see if your dr used the medronic device in your neck? Look up I belive it's spelled Medronic fusion surgery lawsuits. There have been numerous complications w/use of a specific type of device used to replace disc area thats packed w/boney sponge material not taken from you. One issue is nerve pain and being in pain. Go to google & search for it. They will tell u what to look for. Also a ph. # for help. Good luck. I decided to not have 2nd surgery cuz they would 1st have to remove 3 levels of fusion & plates from front & go thru side of neck to because of previous surgery. Then also go thru back to help reconstruct it all. My neck became unstable above my fusion locking up & 3 levels buldging w/1herniated into spinal cord quite a bit. I also have severe narrowing so I don't have much room for my spinal cord & nothing can be done for that. I didn't want my neck, well let's face it, basically amputated from my body! lol. So I deal w/pain knowing like you, I'd still have it anyways after surgery. Good luck. Get rest & hang in there.