I had a C5-6-7 fusion for spondylolthesis and fusion of C7-T1 for same reason. That was 13 years ago, but within last 4 months, head and neck pain have increased. X-ray showed significant spondylolthesis C2-3 & C3-4. Dr says that he has never seen a neck as bad as mine and he really does not want to do another fusion. To be honest me neither. Should this slipping progress; is it even possible to fuse the entire cervical spine? What are alternatives to correct this problem? I am 58, female.

One of my friends had similar problem but not severe like yours. The severity of the spondylothesis needs to be determined by an MRI spine and reviewed by a neurosurgeon before strategy can be made. Your case is very complex because there are nerve fibers involved with breathing located in the upper cervical spinal cord that are at risk for injury if there is cord compromise from the disc disease. Some people can get away with conservative treatment, but I doubt that you can. Depending on the severity, you may need a soft neck collar for the time being to protect your neck.

Hi. Spondylolisthesis can be present at birth. Spondylolisthesis may also develop later in life. The cause of this disorder may be physical stress to the spine, such as carrying heavy stuff, football, trauma and gymnastics. Treatment options include non-surgical treatment and surgery. Surgery is required if non-surgical treatment has failed to provide relief from pain. No treatment is necessary if the spondylolisthesis is non-progressive. Bed rest, pain meds and physical therapy are enough in such cases. You friend may be prescribed with a corset or brace.