I had my gallbladder removed on 12/22/2009 after an ultrasound showed that I had stones. I had only had 2 gallbladder attacks but it was not a pretty sight. Since I had met my health insurance deductible, I agreed with my doctor and had the surgery. I stayed overnight in the hospital (since I also have a heart condition - VT) and everything seemed to be going fine. Then, 4 days after the surgery, I began having pain that is WORSE than any I have EVER had! My surgeon was in a town about 4 hours away so my husband took me to our local ER. They checked me out, did a chest xray and said I had an air bubble that was from my surgery. The following day I had another attack of pain. It lasts about 30 minutes. I called my surgeon and he ordered a CT scan. Yesterday, I was told that all the tests came back OK. I haven't had any more severe pain but I am bloated, having oily stool movements that have a strong odor and every time I eat I feel sick. I am scared that the pain will come back and is this something that I will learn to live with (I don't see how!) Does anyone out there have any clue what my next step should be?

I'm sorry to hear of your problem. I too am having problems after gall bladder removal. I had my gall bladder removed two weeks before thanksgiving and was in the hospital for 3 days. My surgeon told me at my first check up that my gall bladder had ecoli in it. I thought everything was going to be ok but on Thanksgiving day I had a severe attack that lasted about an hour, I took 2 pain pills the doctor prescribed and they helped but knocked me out for the rest of the afternoon. Once again I thought everything was ok but on Thanksgiving day I had another severe attack that lasted about half an hour, I took two pain pills and they knocked me out all afternoon and I didn't get to eat, wasn't hungry anyway. Now I'm starting to worry that having my gall bladder out is not going to stop the pain and I dread the next attack. I've cut back severely on fats and over eating, hoping not to have another attack. Good Luck with yours and I hope we never have that pain again. Please let me know how you do, ok?

Hi there .. sorry to hear about what your going through. i too had my gallbladder removed in Sept. 09 and im still having issues . seems like im in worse shape now then before my surgery ! the problem is our food is not digesting properly . our liver has to take over for the missing gallbladder and that takes time . so the bile is being stored in our stomach untill that process happens . here is a site with the pills i bought, they are digestive enzyme pills they ve helped me a lot ..

good luck to you all

Pain I know too well! My gall bladder was removed in 2003, I ended up hospitalized for 2 weeks due to high enzyme levels. Then 2 months later, another surgery to enlarge the common bile duct (again stuck for 2 weeks). Since then it hasn't gotten better, but my GI can't find anything in his tests, and the ER is a joke. I've tried everything and been thru a million tests. Nothing so far, but if I finally find anything out or if someone here does, please share!

Have them check the sphinxter into the pancreas between the upper and lower duct. My father had the same problem and I have, and the University finally are the ones that found the birth defect. Is all that they had to do was put a stint in.