i am a healthy 27 year old woman with 3 small children
i had emergency op to remove gallballder after having bad attack of gallstones pain that lasted 12 days ever since have had constant pain and nausea i have had ultrasound endoscopy and ct scan with all results negative they had thought perhaps i had a stone stuck in the bile duct due to have eus next week
the pain is when i move or eat and is so debilating that i am often confined to bed i have just had a week stay in hospital after feeling i cannot cope at home i am now taking oramorph regulary for the pain
do u think this could be hypersensitivety after the op?
am worried it was misdiagonsed in the first place as it is still the same pain
i have also now had heavy rectum bleeding and am constipated

hi did you find the problem .my wife is suffering with aliot af pain after around 3 months of having her galbladder out.
any advice would be greatly appreciated
regards
gary

i had my gallbladder out a few years ago, and ever since have had "attacks" VERY similar to the gallbladder ones, severe pain, but now also abdominal swelling and high blood counts. I've seen several doctors and been told everything from acid reflux or anxiety attacks to CML (chronic leukemia!). I got tired of going to the dr all the time and getting no answers, but now I'm tired of the attacks again, and renewed my search for answers and think Im onto something... GO SEE A GASTRO! I finally found a term called Post Cholecystectomy Syndrome, its more common than you would think, but is only a preliminary diagnosis and will lead the doctor to more tests to find the underlying cause which can be anything from your liver to gallbladder trauma to bile duct issues to pancreatitis from the surgery. Treatment can be anything from drugs to surgery again depending on your personal diagnosis. Do alot of googling and inform yourself, and then see a gastro and make sure he knows all your symptoms, history etc, and what you think the problem is (PCS) so he can do the right tests. I just made my appt this week, will update when I have more answers myself.

Also look up Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction.

Thanks, I'll look into it, and ask my gastro. Still haven't ever gotten a difinitive diagnosis. Interesting developments though...my sister and aunt have both had their gallbladders out as well, and have been experiencing the exact same symptoms. My aunt's theory is that our genetics have given us a predisposition for what she's calling "adhesions" for lack of a better word, basically our bodies didnt heal properly from the surgery and we are getting blockages due to the adhesions closing pathways up.

Trial and error over the years has taught me that pain meds are useless (take too long, the pain is done by the time they work), and the best remedies for me seem to be rediculous but really work...undoing my bra and pants relieve pressure and help tremendously, and oddly, laying on my left side seems to diminish the pain almost entirely (comes right back if I sit up or turn onto my other side). Weird but true!

Katrina and Grrrr... any new developments? how are you feeling?

I had cholecystectomy a month 1/2 ago. Emergency gall bladder removal. The doctor told me that energy level would be back to 100% after a month or 2. Not true. It was a laparoscopic procedure but I stayed in the hospital for 4 days (!) since a GI specialist had to do another procedure 2 days later, an endoscopic procedure to "unclog my bile duct" of stray gall stones. Long story short, the "oh-it's- a-walkout-quick-laparoscipic-fast-recovery" procedure? Not true. Maybe if I had "planned" the surgery way before ("elective" surgery"), it could've resulted in less post operative discomfort. But who doesn't want to try alternative options to save an organ from being taken out of your body?
I still suffer pain, though not as intense as those gall bladder flareups. I am more cautious with my diet now but at least I can eat anything without the pain that comes right after a meal. It is still sore to lie on my side for extended periods of time and I feel this pressure in my back, right where the gall bladder used to be. I am still a bit weak, a bit sore in the navel, which is still bruised green and the sight of the 3 other puncture points in my belly is not pleasing. Sometimes I worry I may never be 100% pain free again. But for what it's worth, I do not regret getting rid of that inflamed, swollen, beyond redemption GB that made my life so miserable before.