My aunt is 32 years old and she had heart valve replacement two years ago. She is ok and no problem with it. But now she is planning to become pregnant. Normally, I’m worried because I don’t know is it safe for her. Could artificial heart valves be problem during pregnancy?

Pregnancy in women with artificial heart valves is a problem, because of their treatment with anticoagulants, which is necessary for them. Without anticoagulants there is a risk of thrombosis of the artificial valves. But all form of anticoagulation may be dangerous for infant. Because of that pregnancies of patients with mechanical heart valves should be planned.

Ditto that. Pregnancy in women with artificial heart valves is a problem. I have an artificial heart valve and learned I was pregnant 5 weeks into the pregnancy. I was on Warfarin and was given two options: Option 1) terminate the pregnancy since the Warfarin would either cause birth defects or abort the fetus and heparin could leave me at higher risk for a stroke. Option 2) get referred to a perinatologist specially trained in high-risk pregnancies. I went for the referral. I was switched to a low-molecular weight heparin (Lovenox) and had a textbook 37.5 week pregnancy. There were complications however, when I went into labor early, which meant that the plan to switch me from the LMWH back to Warfarin during the last week of pregnancy was botched. As a result, after my c-section I experienced excessive bleeding at the c-section site. Four days after the c-section, I was discharged. I began bleeding the very next day. After 3 days of bleeding and 2 trips to the ER I was re-admitted to the hospital to remove hematomas and have the c-section site re-stiched as it literally burst open. I realize the above post is from 2007, but for recent readers, I would recommend seeking out a perinatologist (high-risk OB) and working with your cardiologist before getting pregnant. I also created a site to make it easier for women with these shared health concerns to communicate:

http://openheartwomenwithreplacedvalves.ning.com/

I was 17 when I had my heart valve replaced and was told I probably would still be able to have children. I had a perfect pregnancy with lots of communication between my cardiologist and ob/gyn! I gave birth to a perfect baby girl in 2006.

what did you do throughout the pregnancy? medications, etc....