Hi everyone,

I've been asking myself this for quite some time now. I know that artificial hearts are something relatively new and I know that heart transplantation isn't. I was wondering if artificial hearts can and will in the near or far future going to replace heart transplantation. That would actually be quite awesome since people who received a heart from someone else usually don't live that long, and these surgical procedures aren't very safe, and it happens in a lot of cases that the body simply rejects the new heart. I believe that the artificial heart would be an awesome improvement here.

Hey Guest,

Artificial hearts are typically used to bridge the time to heart transplantation, or to permanently replace the heart in case heart transplantation is impossible. Although other similar inventions preceded it going back to the late 1940s, the first artificial heart to be successfully implanted in a human was the Jarvik-7 in 1982, designed by a team including Willem Johan Kolff and Robert Jarvik. So the thing that you wrote about artificial heart being something relatively new is kind of wrong.

From my perspective, artificial heart is not going to replace heart transplantation any time soon, it is still an option number two.

That is an interesting question there, Guest.

Both of these indeed do the same thing. However, I would definitely have more trust in technology than in someone else's heart. Even if your artificial heart fails after some time, you can just have a new one, which is kind of harder for natural hearts. Also, regardless of what is healthier and better, it is also kind of cool to have an artificial heart in you, makes you feel a bit like a robot.

Anyway, I like the idea of it and I hope that some day it is totally going to replace heart transplantation.

your message sounds funny anyway it will be a new experience that you would face when the situation comes. I had gone through such situation 2 years back i consulted a doctor in Astermedcity hospital for cardiac sciences heart transplantation.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I hope it won't be a new experience for me Mathew, since that would have to mean that I have to undergo one of these surgeries and I don't have any problems with my heart, and I am not planning to have any as well.

You were just saying how you had heart transplantation or an artificial heart placed instead of yours, am I right? And you consulted a specialist about choosing which one of these options is better for you? If I am right, I would appreciate it if you would tell me more about this. I'm very curious about this topic.

Hello everyone. So, your heart has two ventricles that pump blood throughout your body? Deoxygenated blood is reunited to the right ventricle and it pumps it through the lungs and to the left ventricle, which pumps your blood to the entire body. Now, I will try to answer your question very shortly so you can understand me. Similar to every heart transplantation, total artificial heart also replaces both failing heart ventricles and the four of heart valves. So I believe that my answer on your question is going to be positive – I think that artificial heart can replace heart transplantation.

Recently I was reading some blog and I found the information that almost all artificial hearts are designed to have been used as a bridge that is really strong to human heart transplantation. Some studies lately have shown that the most of used artificial hearts for permanent use are also called destination therapy. This therapy is actually for the patients who actually don’t qualify for a donor heart or do not want a human heart transplantation. When I was reading this blog I found out so many good and useful information, so I have decided to memorize them and now I am glad because I can share those information with you.

Good day everyone. I don't know anything about this, even if I tried to find this out so many times. My friend asked me this a couple of days ago and I could not answer her since I don't know that much about heart transplantation and especially about artificial heart and can it replace heart transplantation. It looks like her mother needs to have this and she is extremely scared. And whenever I have some problems like this I came here and I find the answer and a solution. So, thank you very much for all those answers, even if I didn't post this topic. 

Good day folks. Look, permanent total artificial heart could easily eliminate the need for the transplantation . At least, that is what I have heard. Especially if you consider that every 10 minutes someone is added to the transplantation list. The total artificial heart has helped a lot of the people, even the sickest biventricular failure patients who are waiting for the transplantation. It is used most in the 80s. That was the time when it was first implanted in a patient. New models are tested and they showed really good. But I am not sure can it replace the good old transplantation.

Hello everyone. Artificial heart is an amazing thing when you are expecting to have heart transplantation and we all do know that patients need to wait a little bit longer for the transplantation. So in this case, artificial heart is an amazing thing and it can work, but I am pretty sure that it can't replace heart transplantation. I have one lady from my neighborhood and she is waiting for the heart transplantation, even if she has this artificial heart. So I don't believe that it can replace it, but it can help a lot. Good luck with this. I hope that you are doing fine.