When I was 5 years old (in 1947), I unfortunately had rheumatic fever, which ultimately destroyed my aortic heart valve. Fortunately, ten years ago here in Perth, Western Australia, I had the diseased aortic valve replaced by a Medtronic artificial heart valve. The results have been spectacular, to say the least! Although I am now nearly 68 years old, I walk every day for an hour and a half, ride an exercise bike for half an hour per day and am living a healthy, carefree life without any heart problems. In other words, I feel no fatigue, nor any other feeling, except for sheer joy! Yet, now that I approach 70, I'm beginning to have a few doubts. I've heard that artificial hearts may not last that long and that they may need to be replaced. My question is simply: how long do artificial heart valves last and what can I expect from the one I've got?

Kind regards,

Roland Williams

My understanding is that the artificial ones are just fine. It's not the same as an artificial heart. And yes, as best i can tell, it should last for a long time. have you spoken to a cardiologist about it?

Your story sounds almost identical to mine including rheumatic fever as a child. I received a new Edwards Life Science valve at age 60 and I am 69 years old now. My suggestion to you is to stay in touch with a cardiologist and have an echo done every six months. He will know if the valve is calcifying, tearing or leaking and will recomend immediate action. I believe that valve degradation is a slow process giving plenty of time to take remedial action. I do not believe it fails all of a sudden.