My older sister had heart valves replacement few days ago. Doctor told me that they put artificial heart valve and that she will be ok very soon. I don’t know what it is exactly mechanical heart valve. Can somebody explain to me what are advantages of artificial heart valves? Thanks!

The artificial heart valves are made of different synthetic materials. The artificial valves are excellent in terms of durability, but are hindered by their tendency to coagulate the blood. It can last for life. Current research has been able to produce materials that do not cause clotting in the blood stream.

Hello there alessandra58,

Well I am surprised that you haven’t asked your sister’s doctor to explain this a little bit better to you. Anyway the main point is that your sister is going to be able to live normal life and that she will be able to do all the activities as she did before the surgery. Of course she will need to watch out on her diet and she will be instructed by the doctor which bad habits she should avoid. Also she will need to exercise to stay in shape and this is very important for her heart.

I hope that this was helpful and that moise284 and I have put some light on the dark of your questions.

Moise, I was just wandering if they were able to produce materials that do not cause clotting, why my doctor told me if I will chose mechanical valve I have to take blood thinners ( warfarin) for life?
Because I'm scared of blood thinners and it's interaction with some food and alcohol consumption I'm thinking to get a tissue valve, who knows maybe in 15 years from now they can replace the valve through a catheter?

you are pepe