I have a friend with epilepsy, and during this time, I know him I have heard for the first time anything about this disease. I had no idea there is something like this and still I cannot believe. His epilepsy occurs in temporal lobe of the brain, that what he told me. I also know that he complains about night seizures, teeth grinding and headaches all the time. I want to know if those are normal symptoms of epilepsy, and if you can tell me all symptoms that are reported.

Rapid eye movement (REM) and sleep behavior disorder (RBD) are symptoms that epilepsy causes. Those are characterized by intermittent loss of REM sleep–related atonia, with the appearance of elaborate motor activity associated with dream mentation. The behaviors in RBD as syndrome of epilepsy can include punching, kicking, leaping, running, talking, yelling, and any behavior that could occur during dream. Patients with terrifying hypnagogic hallucinations may note recurrent scary imagery just as they are falling asleep, and these events may be associated with screaming, and yelling. Some epilepsy syndromes feature activity exclusively or predominantly during sleeps and can be confused with other nocturnal events. These syndromes include autosomal-dominant nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy, supplementary sensorimotor seizures, nocturnal paroxysmal dystonia, and benign epilepsy of childhood. This might occur with centrotemporal spikes, or Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, known as tonic seizures. Cessation of nighttime bruxing, or teeth grinding behavior was indicated by remediation of the pain associated with it. Some patients of temporal lobe epilepsy found breathing, yoga, and meditation to be helpful as well in managing their night seizure threshold and headaches.

If a person suffering from this condition drives, should they report the condition to the DVLA and are they allowed to continue driving.

I just found out today that I have night-time seizures. My mother had granmal epilepsy & she died from it. I have extremely vivid dreams, sleep paralysis, extreme teeth grinding, night terrors, acting out my dreams during REM & I wake up with headaches. I've had 2 sleep studies done, 1 nap study & this is what they've concluded. They also said that although I don't have apnea my oxygen loss is 87% at night when I sleep so I have to have an oxygen tank when I sleep now. I am only 33 years old. This is really scary for me b/c I am afraid I am going to die in my sleep like my mother did (she was about to lay down but had a seizure that caused an aneurysm & died). My doctor told me I cannot die from my type of seizures b/c they are not as severe as my mothers but I am going to get a sleep deprived EEG this month coming up to be sure. I am extremely scared. This is the first I have ever heard about my epilepsy & I want to know more before I go in to the doctors office.. I am too anxious to wait. Any thoughts or advice? I have high anxiety when I sleep as it is b/c my father died last year & I found his body (he died in his sleep too from Cancer & low blood pressure). I've been to grief counseling & finished it already but I have high anxiety about dying in my sleep like my parents & then I get the news today so I can't help but be scared that it's some sort of intuition.